Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Hi guys, new here =)

I bought my first mac the other day (27" IMac) and would like to know what is the best possible way of sharing my printer with my windows machine. Currently The printer is connected to my windows 7 machine. Note both PC and mac are networked via router (LAN) but my printer has no ethernet port.
Shall I:

Leave it as it is and somehow network the printer from windows to the mac??
Connect the printer to the few usb slots i have left behind the mac and network it to the pc (bonjour??)

another thing (off topic sorry) ...I've connected my 2tb mac external harddrive (guid partition/extended journaled) to the network and my windows machine picks it up perfectly..im able to read and write to it...how is this possible ?? (not that im complaining...its making my transition from pc to mac a whole lot easier =D )

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I also have a Win 7 machine at home and recently bought my first Mac. I left the printer attached to the Win 7 machine and shared it. I then used lpd to connect to it with my Mac. works great. I had to enable lpd print services on the Win 7 machine first though.

wayne

gsg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I also have a Win 7 machine at home and recently bought my first Mac. I left the printer attached to the Win 7 machine and shared it. I then used lpd to connect to it with my Mac. works great. I had to enable lpd print services on the Win 7 machine first though.

wayne

Hi wayne. thanks for your reply. Mind showing me the tutorial/guide you followed?

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.