Printer Sharing is a breeze!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trek1500, Jul 15, 2008.

1. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

One of the nice things about my new Mac MINI is how easily I was able to share my printer with the 2 XP equipped laptops and 1 VISTA equipped desktop in my home. I basically plugged my Epson multifunction printer into my Mac...it recognized it right away and went to system preferences and clicked on printer sharing in the "Sharing" folder and that was it as far as configuring the Mac.

On my Windows PCs...I went into control panel..printers and faxes..and chose add a printer..it gives you an option of adding a printer through a wireless network which I chose and you look for your Mac in the list that pops up..select it..if it needs a driver installation it will prompt you and provide a list of available printers and drivers...if your printer isn't in that list and you have the disk..that's the only additional step you need to take...

It was totally effortless and there was "0" frustration involved....

Now I know why people switch to APPLE products..it's a no brainer...

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its all thanks to Bonjour technology that Apple invented and all the major printer manufacturers added it to their printers.

however im confused why youve written every brand name in caps? is it because of XP and PC?

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Bonjour is terrific technology, it has made some very Windows centric people a bit envious. Just a note about capitalization as richthomas points out, sometimes describing a technical problem depends on really careful wording. Just as an example, Mac is an abbreviation for a Macintosh; a MAC is a Media Access Controller, most commonly an ethernet port.