printer sharing not working after OS reinstall customized w.o. printer drivers -help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jul 17, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

After 5 years of using OS X on my powerbook without ever reinstalling the OS, I finally was having disk problems that necessitated a complete reformat and reinstall. I chose to customize the install to exclude the extra printer drivers because I only want to print wirelessly which uses OS X's printer driver rather than the printer-specific printer drivers. But now after I reinstalled I don't see my wireless printer showing up anywhere I'm looking for it!

Am I screwed? Before the reinstall my wireless printer just magically appeared in my powerbook's available printer list, but now I don't see it. I've hence installed the printer driver using Cannon's printer driver installer and now I can print to my printer when I have it directly connected by USB cable, but it still isn't appearing when I try to use it wirelessly thru the wireless printer sharing when it's connected to my powermac.

Is the problem due to me not installing the printer drivers during my OS reinstall? And if so, how can I make my wireless printer show up without having to do a complete OS X reinstall?

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You could try this as a last resort: Macs also have the former Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) installed and printers can be managed in this way. For access to this, type the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.

But if ain't there, it ain't there.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Because you didn't install the MacOS printer specific drivers, you are having the problems. You now have a driver mismatch between your PB and your PM. Run the installer on the powermac and then re-enable printer sharing on the powermac. You should now be able to see it in your printer list on your PB.