Printer sharing over IP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by augu2000, Dec 1, 2008.

1. augu2000 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am relatively new to Mac OS X. I am running Leopard, and I want to share a printer over IP. The printer is connected to my office's iMac, and I want to be able to print from my notebook as well (MacBook Pro). The problem is that my notebook connects to the wireless internet at work, and therefore it is not in the same LAN as the desktop. So I would like to share the printer over the internet.

I have already enabled "Printer Sharing" in the iMac (which has the printer hooked to it). I know the IP address of the iMac, and I have been trying to add an IP printer in the MacBook Pro using that address, but so far I have not been able to do it. Any help? Thanks

2. kunze50 macrumors regular

I think it would have to be within the same network

3. kaoticsnow macrumors newbie

It prints a coverpage with an add on it first but you can always just toss that, have not tried it yet and it really depends on how much color they use on the add page, if it was a simple text add I'd have no problem but if they insist on printing full color adds every time screw that, you can also opt to pay the $20/mo for adless printing but check it out:

http://www.printeranywhere.com/