Printer Sharing: Print from an XP machine to an iMac-connected printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WanderWeird, Sep 12, 2009.

1. WanderWeird macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've spent the morning trying to get printer sharing to work for the following situation, additionally illustrated by the attached image:

I have a network centered around a Belkin router. An iMac is connected to it with an Ethernet cable, a HP PSC 2110 printer is in turn connected to the iMac with a USB cable.

Wirelessly, a number of laptops connect to the network. There is a MacBook Pro, that doesn't have a single issue whatsoever. Also, there is a DELL Inspiron 9400 running XP with Service Pack 3, protected by a McAfee security suite.

What I'm desperately trying to do, is to enable the DELL to wirelessly print from the HP printer connected to the iMac. Obviously the iMac itself is able to print, and the MacBook Pro plays nice as well.

Now, there are about a million threads on this topic, with situations quite similar, but none of the solutions proposed anywhere seem to get the whole thing running. For this reason, I decided to have people shine their light on exactly my own situation, in case I am missing something.

The Bonjour software on the DELL is up-to-date, but giving the "No Bonjour printers are available" message (I'm not sure about the exact wording, since in my situation it is in Dutch.) The McAfee firewall is set to allow Bonjour full network access, and additionally UDP port 5353 is opened up. Obviously Printer Sharing is turned on on the iMac.

I'm at a complete loss, so I came here to look for an answer. Or someone to tell me to forget it, it's not going to happen. I'd take anything right now. ;)

Thanks! :apple:

-Bastian

Attached Files:

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. WanderWeird thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that worked! Thank you very much!

In the end the key was to tell the printer to use the "Apple Color LaserWriter 12/640 PS" driver, like you said and is suggested in the iFelix article as well. A problem there was that the printer would automatically choose its own driver, without giving me a choice in the matter. In the end, I had to go in the installed printer's properties and change the driver myself.

All along, I was terribly afraid that the solution would be something simple like this, something that I plain overlooked. :D

-Bastian