Printer sharing problem on mixed hardware network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SkiHound, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SkiHound macrumors member

I have an iMac connected via ethernet to a D-Link 655 wireless router. The iMac is connected to a Canon Pixma printer via USB. We're running Vista based laptop and connecting wirelessly. Previously, I had a Windows XP pro system connected via ethernet and we had no problem printing from the laptop connected wirelessly. Since I've gotten the iMac we've not been able to print from the laptop. I've gone into system preferences, and sharing. I don't have anything checked other than printer sharing. But I can't find anything else that might be preventing printing. Oh, the laptop seems to see the printer, we're just getting access denied. I don't think I've changed any router settings since making the switch. I expect this is user error. Help would be much appreciated!

2. heshamsaeed macrumors newbie

Similar problem

I had a similar problem with little difference: I got a new MacBook, and connected it to my home network (Windows based, running XP PRO). The MacBook connects to the network and internet fine. However, I cannot print to my HP Deskjet F380. The MacBook could see the printer on the network, but when I give a print order, it becomes paused or stopped.
    I guess that it is a problem with the driver. When I try to select a driver for the printer I don't see the F380's driver.
    Worth mentioning is that the MacBook prints perfectly when connected directly to the printer (no network).
    Any help?

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

4. evie macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem and downloaded Bonjour as you suggested. This worked to getting the file to the printer from the windows machine. it goes to the mac machine and i see it in the printer queue. but it still doesn't print. in the mac printer queue, it says Completed. but no printed page comes out.

any suggestions?

evie

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

6. SkiHound thread starter macrumors member

Read through the guide. Does this assume the printer is connected to the Windows PC and not to the Mac? Our printer is connected by USB to an iMac, the iMac is connected by ethernet to a wireless router, and we have a Windows Vista notebook connected wirelessly. We haven't messed around with this much of late but the notebook sees the printer but can't print to it.

7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Oh I'm sorry - must not have read your first post properly. Yes it assumes the printer is connected to the PC. I haven't tried the other way round, and I have absolutely no clue with Vista.. Everything has changed!! I struggled to figure anything out with it and I'm a pretty geeky kinda guy.

The only thing I can suggest is check your drivers. It may sound daft but sometimes the printers haven't connected at work and some how it was to do with the drivers.