Printer sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by downingp, May 26, 2007.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to share a printer through a network if the printer is hooked up to my iMac and I want to share the printer to a windows laptop? If so, how can I set it up?

Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Assuming the computers are on the same network then it should be a matter of enabling printer sharing in System Preferences on the Mac and then installing Bonjour for Windows on the PC. Follow the prompts and you should be fine. :)

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

The network I connect to is the same network I use to get on the internet with my laptop. I am assuming since I am connected to the internet with my network I created, I should be connected to my network. However, when I use bonjour to look for printers, nothing shows up. I have set my printer on the imac to share in the system preferences. But my windows laptop does not see any printers.

Any help?

Stupid Windows. The only reason I have a windows laptop is because my school required windows.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, what version of Windows is it? Are the machines on the same subnet? Are you using the inbuilt firewall on the PC? :)

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I am getting a little closer to getting the printer setup. I finally was able to get bonjour to find the printer. I installed the drivers on my PC. Now, for some reason, it won't print. I can get the printer to print if I directly plug in the USB but through the network there is no printing.

any ideas?

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

you have enabled print/file sharing in the firewall on the xp/vista machine havent you :)

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have the box for file/printer sharing checked.

8. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have McAfee Security Center installed as well. I am not sure if that is causing problems or not

9. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

yeah firewall maybe stopping it try turning that off

or it might just be a slow connection over the network

10. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even with the firewall turned off, I still can't get anything to print.