Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Rockland County NY
Yo, I just got my new MBP yesterday and was wondering how to connect to a network printer. if someone cold give me steps or point me in the right direction that would be kool. thanx alot for any help. btw: the printer is connected to a PC :-( <dunno if that makes a difference or not.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Yo, I just got my new MBP yesterday and was wondering how to connect to a network printer. if someone cold give me steps or point me in the right direction that would be kool. thanx alot for any help. btw: the printer is connected to a PC :-( <dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Turn on printer sharing on the PC as a first step.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
yep, and then turn on printer sharing on your mac in Prefences > Sharing

Not if he is looking to user a printer attached to the PC.

This will just have the mac share a printer physically attached to it?

I believe he should do as second step add a printer in Preferences

Michael13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Rockland County NY
uhh

heres my situation, i have an hp photosmart printer connected to a WIN xp PC. my home is wireless and i would like to connect to that computer/printer wirelessly with my macbook pro. can someone please tell me how to do this. i cant be the only one who wants to print wirelessly without buying an airport base station.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
heres my situation, i have an hp photosmart printer connected to a WIN xp PC. my home is wireless and i would like to connect to that computer/printer wirelessly with my macbook pro. can someone please tell me how to do this. i cant be the only one who wants to print wirelessly without buying an airport base station.

We already told you. And you are correct, you are HARDLY the only person doing this. You're just not motivated enough to do a simple Google search for the answer. Here ya go...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Share+Windows+XP+Printer

and for the Mac side:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=ux&q=Leopard+Print+to+windows+shared+printer

and a walk-through guide

http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0201.html

Ok, since I already typed it...
1) Windows XP -- share printer (Control Panel->Printers & Faxes->Right click on HP Photosmart and select Sharing).

2) Mac -- Add network printer (Apple Menu->Preferences ->Print & Fax -> More Printers ->Select your windows network name->Windows computer name and under that should be the printer.

Google for exact instructions on the Mac if this isnt enough.

OR

Buy an network printer that can plug into your router with an ethernet cable. Best way IMHO since computer doesn't have to be on to use the printer then...

Michael13

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Rockland County NY
uhh

I think my problem is, that all of these guides show how to in tiger, and im running leopard. im new to macs so try not to tell me how retarded i am.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I think my problem is, that all of these guides show how to in tiger, and im running leopard. im new to macs so try not to tell me how retarded i am.

Didn't call you retarded, I am calling you lazy.

Last comment, it's the same basic process to add a printer. All the info is above you need.

Good luck. I am now unsubscribed from your thread.

el bradamontes

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
something's up with leopard

WannaGoMac, you're out of line man. Hey, I am experiencing some problems as well except mine are mac to mac. I had an iMac hooked up to a wireless modem/router (not one of the special printer jabi jabs) and was sharing the printer wirelessly with a powerbook and an emac, both running tiger. The imac that is attached to the printer does NOT have a wireless card. It is using the router that it is hard wired to so I know this is definitely possible without a special router or a wireless card. Problem is, my new MacBook running leopard is not recognizing the printer. I have gone through the exact same steps with the MacBook as I went through with the powerbook and the eMac and still nothing. The only reason you would need a printer router whathaveyou is if your computers do not have the capability of sharing the info. I'd keep digging. It's possible unless Mac decided to disable this ability in Leopard for some reason. Like you have to put all your other machines on leopard or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.