Printer that can do Color and Duplex

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlakePowers, Nov 30, 2009.

1. BlakePowers macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any recommendations for a printer that works well with a mac that can print color and duplex?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I have a Ricoh color laser that I love. The thing is huge though and very heavy (60 lbs or so). About $800 but the toner cartridges are expensive to replace ($180 each, it uses 4).

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I am using an HP J6480 all-in-one that is a color inkjet with duplexing built in. It has been superceded by the 6500, but this new printer also has duplexing. It is a competent networked office printer/scanner/copier/fax, but does a poor job printing photos. I normally use my Smugmug account to print photos, so that is no big loss for me.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Are you after laser or inkjet?

I also use a color laser with duplexing. It's not expensive for consumables though (cost per page <toners rated in thousands of pages range> is less expensive than HP lasers, and way less than inkjets), and it's less expensive than the Ricoh (Brother MFC-9450CDN). But it's not good for photos or pre-press layouts (color laser isn't suited to this in general). But if the color is used for things like charts, graphs, color text,..., it's fine. Drivers also work well with Macs.

The toners are worst for HP in my experience, and the software is buggy and bloated. Worse yet, the consumables are chipped (they expire used or not 2yrs after you use it the first time).

You could also consider a laser for monochrome, and inkjet for color if it's for photos.

Just an idea. ;)

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

6. Capt. Pat macrumors newbie

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Maybe this will help.
    The max duty cycle is 85,000 pages per month.

It's not a home use printer, but if you do pre-press work, it's suitable.