Printer Upgrade Options w/ new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RadDave, Apr 6, 2013.

1. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hello All - new to this forum but not to computers; first one was an Apple II+ in 1980, then switched to PCs in the mid-80s (job compatibility); now retired for 2 yrs and transitioning back to Apple products (2 iPads & a new MBP) - about to replace my old Dell DT w/ an iMac (probably w/i a week).

One of my main concerns (and my wife will be mainly using this iMac so I will be her main Apple advisor) is our printers - currently have an old Canon Pixma MF (no networking) that is likely 7 y/o; also, a Brother Laser w/ networking options that is just 2-3 y/o.

I'm home networked w/ a Cisco router (802.11n) - my initial feeling is to replace the Canon printer w/ one that is updated w/ network options - will then add the Brother to the mix - SO, what are some MF inkjet options that may fit my needs best (and make my spouse happy?) - thanks for any input - Dave :)

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

What are your printing and multi function needs? Are you going to be printing lots of documents, photos, or faxing and copying files frequently? Do you just print the occasional document for reminders or directions? Do you need great photo prints, 2 sided printing, an automatic document feeder?

Can you give us a little more information on what the printer will be used for, what is most important, etc? Almost any printer will be able to connect to your WiFi network, just need to find a good printer for your printing needs.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

One feature I'd suggest is AirPrint compatibility, since you have iPads.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

We really need to give us info to assist you. What's lacking with your current MF? What else are you looking for? If you're happy with it and just want to get it on the network there are solutions (at least for the printing aspect).

5. RadDave thread starter macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Troy14 - well, we need color, use duplex printing, and do occasional copying & scanning, so a MF printer remains our best option - rarely need photos, two paper trays, or the ADF. Considered a color laser to have just one printer on the new iMac (yet to be purchased), but not sure I can do all of those functions w/o buying a rather expensive one. I'm about to use my old laptop in a back bedroom attached to a new HP scanner (want to digital scan & archive a LOT of old slides & photos) - now that could be used for our other scanning & copying needs, BUT may not be as convenient - guess that I could take the old printer back to that room - a consideration.

But bottom line, a new MF inkjet printer is what I would like to obtain w/ all the new networking features & also AirPrint - unfortunately, I've been reading reviews on Canon, Epson, HP, & a few others (printers for < $200, although I could spend more), and feel that the quality & reliability of these newer printers may leave much to be desired, esp. if one gets a 'lemon', so to speak. Today, I'm going to visit one of the local office stores & could even pick one up? I decided that if I indeed have problems, taking it back locally would be easier that shipping. Well let me stop - and thanks all for any comments. Dave

6. cube, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

cube macrumors G5

The Epson XP-850 has everything, including:

- 6 individual inks
    - Duplex ADF
    - CD print
    - FAX from Mac

What I think it doesn't have is Bluetooth.

It is also NOT A3.

Ah, yes. It also lacks a photo slide tray.

7. Giuly, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It boils down to this:

The Epson Expression Home XP-400 and the Canon PIXMA MG3220 easily found on sale and are the two least expensive printers with AirPrint (which means that you can print from your iPhone over WiFi, too).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    If you want to up that, the Epson Expression XP-600 offers auto-duplexing (prints both side of the page automagically), prints faster than the XP-400 overall and does photos in higher quality.
    The top of the line offering is the Epson Expression XP-800 with an automatic feed, Ethernet and a build-in fax.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Epson Expression XP-850 does everything the XP-800 does, but replaces Photo Black with Light Cyan and Light Magenta, for even prettier photos.
    [​IMG]
    Apple sells you these Epson printers along new Macs, so you known that they're decent and well supported.

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I would highly recommend staying away from the Epson Expression series that previous members before me have linked to you - not that I think they are bad printers, but their main uses are not what you're looking for. Photos are a big use of these printers, and ink costs of 4-7 ink tanks will add up when printing just regular documents i'm sure. (I myself use an Epson Artisan 837 with a continuous ink system and I love it).

I would recommend this printer : http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Smartphone-Compatible-C11CB33201/dp/B005IIR8HM

At first it seems like overkill but in reality, the larger ink tanks have a higher up front cost but once purchased will last you a long time... it is great at documents and fast (which you will appreciate) and has all the multi function features you need.

This Canon is also very nice/good.... http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Products-MX922-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00AVWKUJS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I personally prefer Epson over Canon due to their print head differences (an entirely different topic all together) since they are a bit more forgiving and are more durable. (If you are curious look up how canon vs epson print heads work, canon uses thermal and if printing on empty ink cartridges run the risk of burning up the printhead)

I think any printer will do what you're asking, but i would stay away from ones that are geared more towards home creativity / photos as they will use more ink, more ink tanks, and are not what you need.

9. RadDave thread starter macrumors regular

RadDave

Thanks Giuly & Troy 14 for your thorough and excellent responses - I'm sure these posts will help others w/ the same dilemma. I did some more reviewing mostly on Amazon & at PC Magazine - the Epson & Canon brands seem to receive good reviews and have been 'Editor Choices'.

So today I went to a nearby Office Max and looked @ a couple of dozen printers and decided a MF would be our best choice and my two brands under consideration were the Canon MX922 (as suggested) and the Epson WF models - the Canon was on sale for $149 - looked @ both, opened the lids, and decided to purchase the Canon - seems like a 'crap shoot' these days at the prices these MF printers are being sold!

Now both of these printers as mentioned above were well reviewed in PC Magazine and received overall 4/5* on Amazon - BUT what bothers me are the 1 & 2* ratings (less that 10%) just concerning - as such, I decided to go w/ a 2-yr. extended warranty (not usually something that I choose unless cheap & I suspect it will break - ;)) - just $36!

Well, I'm pretty comfortable w/ this MBP & Mtn Lion, so taking the wife to our local mall for a tutorial class on OS X & the iMac and will probably order us a new iMac to replace our aging Dell - SO will be trying to install that new printer shortly - thinking wired is best for us, but to my router or the computer - maybe another post but I'll search first.

Thanks again for the prompt and considered responses - Dave :)

[​IMG]

10. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I have owned a previous Canon (model similar to that one) and you should have no problems! Also wireless should be no issue! Now-a-days you should have 0 issues with the wireless printing. Just find the printer, let it download the drivers, and forget the rest! No need for wires.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

He has a laser printer for text, so a photo printer that cranks out nice color graphics should be exactly what he's looking for.

12. Bartzca macrumors newbie

I picked up an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus on Clearance for $150.00. I beleive the current model is the 8600.

It does 2 sided printing and scanning, auto doc feeder, AirPrint, Faxing, scan and print over WiFi.

My only 2 beefs are no easy solution for envelopes (no manual doc feeder) and had to replace a print head after a year of infrequent use.

13. gzigoris macrumors member

gzigoris

Another vote for the Epson 837. It's on the network and prints from all our Apple devices.

George

14. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Except you can't get that one anymore, as it has been replaced by the Expression XP-800 and XP-850.