Printer [will not make double sided prints with my new imac]

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by msregister, Nov 16, 2008.

1. msregister macrumors member

my hp laserjet 1300 will not make double sided prints with my new iMac. the field in the printing menu is grayed out.

i am considering buying a new color laser printer between 500 - 1000 $. it has to work with my imac and be able to do double sided printing.

any suggestions?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I just read a couple of reviews of that printer for curiosity and nowhere does it state that it is a duplexing printer (other than one mentioning that in the driver it has an option to take manual duplexing- that is, printing alternate sheet numbers and then flipping the stack over and re-feeding) so I was just wondering if that particular printer even has a duplexing unit in it since no duplexer would equal greyed out duplex option in the print dialog? :confused:

Anyhow, I am quite pleased with the Okidata C5650dn color laser that I have. Quick startup time to first print and nice quality prints. It does have a duplexer standard (optional on the slightly cheaper C5650n) and has ethernet and USB 2.0 connections- and supports Macs with OSX 10.2.8 or above. And just as importantly falls into your price range, at an average street price of around $600. http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/c5650home.html

Hopefully some others can come up with alternate duplexing color lasers that fit the bill too. Good luck with whatever you choose!

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, if it doesn't support duplexing, then it's not going to happen. I have a Xerox phaser color laser duplexer that does a fabulous job. Cost around $600 from PC Connection.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

For a color laser with duplexing, you can get a few I would think. I know Brother makes a couple, and they work with Macs. :)

DCP-9045CDN
    MFC-9840CDW

Street prices should be better than the Estimated Street Price of $699. :D
    Brother tends to be inexpensive in the way of consumables too. Better than HP's. They aren't set to expire either. (Thanks HP). :rolleyes:

5. msregister thread starter macrumors member

it does support manual double sided printing. on my windows machine it would print one side, then prompt me to place the reverse side in the tray and it would print the other side, this does not work on my imac.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That means HP's not implemented it in their driver. Might want to send them an email.

7. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

I just ordered an Oki C6150dn. Oki model with -dn have automatic duplexer and can network via ethernet. The deal I found ($680 on Amazon) is competitive with Xerox and HP.

After doing a bit of research on the Brother line, I came upon complaints that Brother uses a physical counter on their toner cartridges, so that when you hit a certain number of pages, ALL toners are out, regardless of how much each individual toner actually remain. That concerned me, so I started reading up on Oki, which I never had any experience. Oki sounds like a stellar underdog in the color laser arena with excellent speed and image quality.

A word about toner refill on the Oki C6150dn. After the 2k capacity starter toners run out, I'll be looking at spending close to the cost of the printer for 6k toner cartridges, which should last quite a while for me.

Anybody using Oki's out there?

More Oki reports to come...

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes- as I said above I am quite pleased with my Oki C5650dn which is basically a slightly slower version of the 6150- paper capacity, duplexing and ethernet are the same, but print speeds are rated at 26/22 versus the 32/26 and mine has less RAM. Big difference is the price- the 5650dn is $469 on Amazon versus the $680 you found. The speed difference to me was not worth the difference- and luckily the 6150dn came out right before I made the purchase so at least I was able to compare them for once instead of a new one coming out right after I purchased!! ;)

Anyway, I'm sure you will be happy with the quality of the prints and almost as importantly the startup time- the OKIs are quite a bit faster than many in the class at "time to first print"!

9. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Nice, sounds like you got yourself a bargain. Too late that I already pulled the trigger, otherwise that extra $210 saved could buy us all a beer or two.:D

BTW, did you ever try printing with Oki banner paper? Oki sells these 8.5"x48" banners that look pretty cool.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hey there's still time! ;)

No I haven't though I have always meant to try it (already bought the paper which I have put away....ummmm....somewhere.....:confused:) so maybe someone else who has can clue us in. Enjoy the printer- and don't be surprised by the glossy color on the printed portions of the page if you have not actually seen a print from one. It is certainly different than the average color laser but I think it looks better myself.