Printer won't work over WiFi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by definitive, Nov 22, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Got a new printer recently, and everything was working well until a couple of days ago.

Few days ago my printer stopped working, and after spending some time trying to fix things, I decided to just try reinstalling it. Long story short, the printer is connected to WiFi (the modem/router detects it without a problem), and my main system is connected through ethernet, while laptop through WiFi. The main system does not see the printer's printer and scanner features (it's supposed to detect printer+scanner separately from fax), and only sees the fax. When I unplug the main desktop and use its WiFi feature, it sees the printer without a problem. I tried the same thing with the laptop, and get the same results - Wired does not see the printer/scanner, but wireless does. Anyone else experience something like this before? I've reinstalled the OS, ran updates for printer and computer, reset settings on router, etc. Still same results.

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

When connected via wifi and wired what are the IP addresses for your printer and computers?

3. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

They both receive their IP's through auto DHCP. The computer has (for example) .2, while printer .3. When I go to scan for new printers on the computer that's plugged in through ethernet, the only thing that comes up in results is the printer with .3, and the term "fax". I can't print with that. If the computer is connected wirelessly, the printer and fax show up (two separate names), and they work correctly for most part, except I noticed that it shows the name of my ISP sometimes in print queue window instead of the printer's name. This happens on both of my computers.

I tried resetting everything to original settings on every device, reinstalling os, drivers, etc. Is there a way for me to check what IP a printer is assigned through OSX's settings? I know something like this is possible on Windows, but I can't find it here.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It might be best to give the printer a fixed IP and then add it as an IP printer.

Some routers can assign a specific IP via DHCP to a device based on the device's ethernet address.

Otherwise, you can manually specify the IP of the printer in its own network setup. You may have to manually enter the subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0) and router IP, also.

5. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I have the same problem and will try this also.

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

On our wireless printer you have to specifically set it for wifi or wired. if its set for wifi then wired wont work and if its set for wired wireless will not work. On my wireless printer you can change it by holding the power button for 40 seconds or so. It then prints out a test sheet showing specs and wether its set for wired or wireless. You can then hold down the button for 40 seconds or so and it will toggle the mode its in.

7. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

worked fine in the past. now i have to set it up as ip printer, so some of the regular driver features aren't displaying. might have to do with my router which i'll try to replace next week.