Printers and Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What are the chances that if my dad picks up a random printer at Walmart that it'll work with his mac?

2. 66217 Guest

I think that it is almost sure it would work. So far I haven't found a printer which won't work with my Mac. In fact, they work even better with my Mac that with PC's:p

3. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I'd say almost 100% chance. Walmarts (yes, I know it's "Walmart." I'm referring to multiple stores :D) around where I live generally sell only HPs and Lexmarks... and those all have OS X drivers. The HP imaging software is getting quite good on OS X, too, if he's considering a MFP.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

There are a couple of HP printers (cheaper ones) that don't have Mac drivers, so you might want to do a quick Google search on the particular model he buys before opening the box. I can't think of which ones they are, but I ready about a few online that wouldn't work. If I find them again I'll post them here.

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I had no idea that printer drivers had come along so far. Thanks!

6. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

You can also just head over to hp.com and type the name of the printer into the search box (i.e. Deskjet 5740). It'll bring up search results and a little area off to the left that says something like "Drivers and Downloads." You can check there to see if OS X drivers are available. If not, don't despair! CUPS+Gutenprint might be able to help.

7. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

While that would probably work..

My dad will have to install this because he'll be buying a printer after he gets the G4. So anything like that would be bad. :(

I might be able to do it from remote VNC connection however.

8. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

No, I'm sorry. What I meant was that you could check to see if the printer he purchased was compatible before he opened the box if you were in doubt. However, all HP printers come with boxes clearly labeled as to which operating systems they support. Some have the "Built for Mac OS X" logo on the side. Others don't, but still support OS X.

9. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

i don't think there are any dell printers at wallmart, but any way, my family has dell equipment. When i bought my macbook i tried to print out a page o our dell printer, didn't work. called up dell and they said its incompatible.

10. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive all-in-one printer that would be compatible with my new Airport 802.11n Base Station's wireless printing capability?

11. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Hmm... I always thought Dell printers were just something else rebranded...:confused:

12. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

If you find a MFP printer, I think it would have to be compatible with Image Capture and Bonjour unless the printer's software was compatible with Bonjour or something else. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to scan from the printer over the network, only print.

13. androvboy macrumors member

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I had a Dell laser printer that was a rebranded Xerox. I couldn't find a driver for it, but it worked just fine under the generic laser printer driver.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just buy an Epson and you'll be fine. Nothing to install at all. Plug the thing in and it'll work.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Any decent printer apart from a Dell will almost certainly work with a Mac, mostly they work without drivers though if he is using an All in one to scan he'll need to install software.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Having had the misfortune of buying an Epson before I'd disagree. Although the drivers worked perfectly, I found the printer itself both unreliable and far too noisy in operation. The ink cartridges are also more expensive than either HP or Canon.

18. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I don't know what an "MFP printer" is, but I think you misunderstood me. I do want an all-in-one but I fully realize that the wireless part would just be for the printing part. :p

Can someone here make a recommendation? I am having the hardest time getting a single answer on these forums. I mean, I've posted the question myself, and asked in two other printing related threads, and no one has an answer for me at all. Surely I am not the only one who is interested in having a printer plugged into my Airport Base Station! :(

19. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

MFP Printer= Multifunction Printer

Anyway, Walmart had a nice looking HP MFP that was also ethernet capable, if you wanted to go that route.

20. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

If you don't get an answer here (Happens sometimes) try the apply support forums.

support.apple.com

21. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Haha, d'oh! I shoulda been able to figure that out. :eek:

Hey do you know the model of the one you mention? I'm not finding it on walmart.com. Also with an ethernet printer is it easy as plugging it into the Airport Base Station and it will work wirelessly or will it require some special setup?

Thanks for the help!

22. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Plugging into into the Airport Base Station is the same as plugging it into your wireless mac and enabling printer sharing. Should be easy as that.

23. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I'm not sure... but I think it was like C2xxx, if that helps. Try hp.com and then go back to walmart.com

Sorry I don't remember it exactly.:(