Printers in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j-a-x, Oct 27, 2007.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I've got a quick question about Printers in Leopard.

Yesterday I did a format and clean install of Leopard on my Powerbook. I don't recall seeing a screen where I could customize which printer drivers were installed like I could with Tiger (maybe I missed it?). I was wondering if anybody knows how to uninstall printer drivers that Leopard installed. I'm tight on disk space and it looks like it installed almost 3 gigabytes of drivers.

Is going to /Library/Printers and starting to delete folders dangerous? Are there any other options for uninstalling printers?

Does the Leopard install actually have an option to install extra printer drivers or does it install all of them by default?

I kind of want to keep as many of them as I can but some of the drivers take up a lot of space. The Epson folder in /Library/Printers takes up over a gigabyte for example.

If I could get rid of some of these drivers and then install them as I need them, it might save me space wise.

thanks in advance,
    -Jax

2. ljones macrumors regular

There was an option during the installation setup. You likely missed it. i selected HP for my printer and only installed the rivers i would need.

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Hmm.. I guess I was too excited when I installed it. :)

So, any way to get rid of the unwanted printers?

I used "monolingual" to save a few gigs of unwanted languages. It would be great to save a few more from unwanted printers.

4. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

So...
    Any ideas on how to uninstall unwanted printers?