Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Hey,

I am looking for an entry Level laser printers, thats compatible with osx.

I really wanted to get an HP 1020, but I have heard conflicting reports on whether it works or not .

Any-one got any ideas.

Thanks
Paul

Can't really comment on HP's recent laser printer products, but I don't recollect hearing anything specific that would put me off on the purchase of one.

I bought, probably something like about a year - 1.5 years ago a Samsung ML-2010 printer. Now, that model has been replaced, and the form-factor has changed slightly, but it seems to be a nice, stable, small, lightweight, reasonably hearty printer.

The only issue I've had with it is that I can't print anything out of InDesign with it, since it screens everything for some stupid reason. I've never been able to find a way to fix that. The only thing I've been able to do is to export the document to PDF and then take that PDF into Preview and print it from there, at which point it prints flawlessly.

The reason I decided to buy a B&W laser printer was mostly to due with three things:

1. I was tired of paying so much for inkjet cartridges;
2. I was tired of dealing with pigment that was water-soluble;
3. I wanted crisper detail in my output due to a desire for camera-readyness.

The thing to always take into account in dealing with any laser printer is to take care in the removal and the installation of their toner cartridges. Toner is just nasty, gets everywhere, and is potentially toxic if you were to inhale it.

And always, ALWAYS remember: if you get toner on your clothes, DO NOT try to rub it off and DO NOT EVER try to wash it out. DO use a vacuum cleaner to suck it off. HOWEVER...

If you spill toner and want to clean it up, while it's true that your best bet is to use a vacuum cleaner, unless it's a really micro small amount, DO NOT vacuum it up until you put an appropriate bag into your vacuum cleaner, because the standard ones will allow toner penetration, and will eventually FRY the motor in your vacuum. When I worked over at OfficeMax in their copy shop, we were given a vacuum cleaner by Xerox (who was the copy machine vendor) that had a specially-designed collector bag in it. I'm not sure what the structure of the bag was, but it definitely protected that motor, since there was not ONE IOTA of toner anywhere in the chamber that the bag was housed in.

Other than that, good luck. You'll definitely enjoy having a laser printer.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I bought a Brother HL-2070N laser printer last year for $99. I think you can get it for $69 now. I had some problems finding the right driver for my PPC 1.67g Powerbook. I finally ended up using an HP CUPS driver that works fine. It's been a great printer.

I teach high school, and had to use our class funds to buy ink for crummy, old HP inkjet printers. I wanted a clearer print job, and had no need for color, so laser has been a great move for me.

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
The color laser Samsung CLP-300N works flawlessly with Mac OS X out of the box. The toner is fairly reasonable to replace, but best of all it's a miser and will save you $$. Nice text print as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.