Printing-"air print" printers only?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brudog68, Mar 2, 2011.

1. brudog68
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Will it only print to an "Air print" capable printer or will it pick up my existing printer on my network and print?

2. AppleGoddess
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

3. brudog68
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there also a way to print to a PDF (virtual print etc) within the ipad and then save that file to attach to an email etc?

4. AppleGoddess
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I have the HP envy now i used to use the app above it should dowha you are looking for.

5. MRU
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

MRU

No you can not print to a PDF on the iPad.

6. flopticalcube
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There is one way to do this that I know of. First, you need a Mac that has been AirPrint enabled by using the Hacktivator or similar method. Then download and install the CUPS-PDF package and install and share the printer. Choose this printer when printing from an iPad. PDFs are then spooled to /Users/shared/CUPS-PDF/ANONYMOUS

7. Pacilly
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

There is actually an app for that!

There is an app called Save2PDF and I have been using it for a while now. It will do exactly what you want and convert an attachment to a PDF using the print function in mail. You can then resend the PDF back to whoever you need.

It is actually pretty cool and I don't know how they do it but you can convert from any app into a PDF as long as it has printing, I also use it for web pages too. Just search the app store for Save2PDF and you will find it.

8. iPad 2nd Gen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

With TruPrint, it removes the limitations on what printers can be used from 8 to hundred of network printers.

9. afd
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

If you have a mac you could try printopia, it turns any printer into an airprint compatible one and allows you to save a PDF to either your mac or your dropbox account (once there you could email the PDF from dropbox app). Quiite a few apps (ie pages) allow to email a PDF though.
    Printopia pretty good though, and it works with leopard.

10. M87
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I have an AirPrint compatible HP printer. I want to throw it out the window.

11. RobNor
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

You can also use Printcentral for the iPhone and ipad.

12. fleeper
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

In Pages, when you click the document to email, it asks if you want to email it as a pages doc, word doc, or a PDF doc. This is a great and easy workaround.

fleeper

13. Dorkington
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I used the activator on my OSX machine with a printer connected... printing works fine, in multiple formats, on the iPad. :)