Printing-"air print" printers only?

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Will it only print to an "Air print" capable printer or will it pick up my existing printer on my network and print?

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Is there also a way to print to a PDF (virtual print etc) within the ipad and then save that file to attach to an email etc?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
No you can not print to a PDF on the iPad.
There is one way to do this that I know of. First, you need a Mac that has been AirPrint enabled by using the Hacktivator or similar method. Then download and install the CUPS-PDF package and install and share the printer. Choose this printer when printing from an iPad. PDFs are then spooled to /Users/shared/CUPS-PDF/ANONYMOUS

Pacilly

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
There is actually an app for that!

There is an app called Save2PDF and I have been using it for a while now. It will do exactly what you want and convert an attachment to a PDF using the print function in mail. You can then resend the PDF back to whoever you need.

It is actually pretty cool and I don't know how they do it but you can convert from any app into a PDF as long as it has printing, I also use it for web pages too. Just search the app store for Save2PDF and you will find it.

iPad 2nd Gen

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
With TruPrint, it removes the limitations on what printers can be used from 8 to hundred of network printers.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
If you have a mac you could try printopia, it turns any printer into an airprint compatible one and allows you to save a PDF to either your mac or your dropbox account (once there you could email the PDF from dropbox app). Quiite a few apps (ie pages) allow to email a PDF though.
Printopia pretty good though, and it works with leopard.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I have an AirPrint compatible HP printer. I want to throw it out the window.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I used the activator on my OSX machine with a printer connected... printing works fine, in multiple formats, on the iPad. :)