Printing- cannot read the print job (Yosemite)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevelav, Oct 17, 2014.

1. stevelav macrumors newbie

Hi, Having just upgraded to yosemite from Mavericks, I find that my printer no longer works. In my printer queue it just says Printing - Cannot read the print job , then that changes to Stopped - cannot read the print job.

I have reset the printing system by right clicking in settings, I have reinstalled the driver, I have tried my printer on both usb and through my wifi network and I have reset disk permissions.

The printer is dell 1720dn laser.

Will I just have to downgrade to mavericks to print again?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Looks like that printer drivers was last updated in 2011. Now did you do a upgrade or a fresh install. In either case than download using those drivers again to see if it works, Google Luck.

3. stevelav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx but I have already done that.

Probably dell wont write new drivers for my old printer, so its probably back to Mavericks for me!

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sometimes Dell printers are just rebranded Epson printers. Try some of their drivers first to see if one works.

5. stevelav thread starter macrumors newbie

6. stevelav thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved!

I posted this question on the Dell forums and a very nice chap told me to reset my printing system by right clicking my printer in setting>printers and scanners, this deletes all your printers and scanners from the computer. Then add the printer again in settings>printers and scanners and at the bottom under Use select Generic Postscript Printer and this will add it with generic software/driver which will work.

Thx for any replies