Printing from a wireless XP cmpt to a wired Imac printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mahoney4321, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Mahoney4321 macrumors newbie

... and it just ain't working! I have an XP laptop with Service Pack 3, an iMac running 10.5.4, and a Canon MP510. The Mac and the printer are wired together, and they love each other. Both the Mac and laptop share a wireless net connection to my home router/modem.

I've spent hours trying to get this laptop to print to that printer. Sharing is enabled, although in the Mac Sharing menu, there is no sign of "Windows Sharing". I've tried installing Bonjour on my laptop, and apparently the laptop can "see" the printer on the network, but can't print to it.

I've seen many posts where the MAC has trouble printing to an XP wired printer. Here's the opposite.

Should I get out the hammer, or is there some hope here?

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

try re-installing the bonjour utility. that is what you would use to connect and print to that shared printer.

3. oowf macrumors newbie

Bonjour Works - Can't print envelopes

Hi all...

iMac 8,1 24" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (Networked)
    1.8 GHz PC with Wiindows XP (Networked and connected to the iMac by Network)
    Printer: HP Color LaserJet 2605 attached to the iMac

Problem: I CAN find and print to my printer from the XP box. However, we do some heavy duty accounting here since we have to report to both the US Government and the Chinese Government. Of course and as would have it the accounting program we have been using for years, although produced now for the Mac does not work on the Mac at all like what we need.. It's as if they really didn't care... (the software developer)...

Consequently our accounting is done on an old XP box that is used for nothing else. This all works fine until it is time to print envelopes to mail out our Thank You letters and receipts.

The letters and receipts print just fine... Bonjour gives us a selection for the size paper we use...

Next comes printing the envelopes... in Bonjour there is no envelope shown of any type and we have not been able to print envelopes (name and address along with a return address) since we connected the printer to the iMac.

To over come this we tried connecting the printer to the XP and using it from the iMac and the iMac can't find the printer when it's connected to the XP... so we are stuck with the connections we are currently using...

I just hope someone can help me figure out how to print envelopes.