Printing from iPad while on the road

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Slamprent, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Slamprent macrumors newbie

I am looking to use an iPad for estimating and invoicing service work while on the road. There is already a great app for my purpose, but what I would like to do is have the ability to print from the service van.

From what I can tell, there is no way to print directly from the iPad to a printer, is that correct? Or can I setup the iPad as a hotspot and get the printer to join that network and print like that?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If your printer is going to be located in a service van all the time, you could go with a standard printer, wireless router, and a DC>AC converter.

Just set up the router for a small network (no WAN connection), plug the printer to an ethernet port and you're ready to go.

Alternatively, someone may be working on an Airprint compatible printer that sets up its own wireless network ... but I haven't seen that yet.

ft

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

4. Slamprent thread starter macrumors newbie

That seems like the only option, huh? It just seems like a waste of money buying a wireless router for something like this.

Do they make a wireless "switch" since I don't need the router function?

5. ftaok, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, I've never seen a wireless "switch". And ultimately, it's not that much money. Just buy an basic 802.11g router that has LAN ports. Shouldn't cost you more than $15. The bigger concern would be running the cables and power supplies. That's more of a hassle.

That's why I suggested that you look into an AirPrint printer that can setup it's own ad-hoc network. Then you're only looking for one AC outlet. However, I'm not sure they even make these.

EDIT - hey, look at this. I think this is what you want.

EDIT2 - looks like HPs website sucks (shocker!). Kinda hard to figure out which printers have Wireless Direct and which ones don't. Looks like the Envy 120 and 121 do have it. The Envy's are quite small and would seem to work in a van. Not sure if you want inkjet or laser, though.

ft

6. rockgalmusic macrumors newbie

mobile print solution

hey there
    have you looked at the brother RJ4040 which is a mobile printer with its own network, we use it at work with an app print n share
    boss came across it and thought it would be ideal which it has been so far
    of course i assume you could use the app you already have
    see how you get on with that:)

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I use something similar to this only with Epson Connect. I have an Epson Workforce 845 AIO and it has this direct printing feature as well as AirPrint. Assuming your iPad has 3G/4G connectivity or you're able to hotspot with your phone, you can email whatever you need to print to the Epson Connect email address and it'll automatically start printing on the printer. Obviously you'd need to go out and buy a new printer but, having used it quite a bit the past few months, I can say it's a pretty neat feature. The printer was only $100 new from tigerdirect.com so that might be an option you'd want to look into.