Printing from iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jusacruiser, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

I thought that there was supposed to be new software available, that would enable me to print from my iPad.

How do I get the iPad printing software onto my iPad?

Thanks!

:confused:

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

You can only print from certain apps to a shared printer on a Mac or PC. Try googling "AirPrint hactivator".

3. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tap the action button in Safari (the box with an arrow). From there you can select "Print". Other iPad apps that support printing include Mail, Photos, Keynote, Pages and Numbers.

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Get a new HP printer with ePrint too. That way you can print directly from the iPad to the printer. No need to leave a pc or mac turned on to print.

6. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I love my new Envy printer it pretty amazing.

7. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Our daughter has a IPad and we have a printer on the list and still haven't had much luck getting it to work. We even have a mac router also and have tried several things and its only worked maybe once or twice. We also have a apple tv and not having much luck with airplay either for some reason. Maybe it's a firewall issue or the way we have it configured, i am not sure but it sure it frustrating.

8. jusacruiser, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010

jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Thanks Guys.....I will try it!!

Ok.....I clicked on the link.....but I don't see where to click next. Is there a download? There is also a "Buy Now" button. Is the printing capability for the iPad something that has to be purchased??

Thanks!

:confused:

9. miklovo macrumors member

10. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That link was just an explanation of airprint and a list of airprint-enabled printers. The 'Buy Now' is to buy an iPad. Check out the link above for the airprint hacktivator.

11. TIO macrumors newbie

TIO

+1

I recently purchased an HP D110 for use with my iPhone and iPad. From what I've seen, it is the least expensive of the ePrint capable printers ($69.99 last week at Best Buy). It was a breeze to set up, even on an encrypted wireless network where the SSID isn't being broadcast. There was essentially not set up required on the iPhone and iPad. They both found the new printer automatically when I set out to print a document or photo.

12. Jimbobjoe macrumors newbie

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I agree. The ePrint printers are a snap to set up. They work very well too! It's pretty neat to be able to print stuff from our iPads and my iPhone!

14. imacken macrumors 65816

15. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

My old printer packed up recently so I got a HP ePrint printer yesterday to replace it.

It works really well with the iPad, but the biggest benefit that I have found is scanning directly to the iPad. Using the HP app you can scan directly to the iPad and it's very easy. This is a real benefit as I often need to take documents out with me and previously had the choice of taking the paper or scanning to my computer and syncing. This is much more seamless.

In theory it should work with some non ePrint HP printers as well, but I couldn't get it to work with my old one. This seems far more robust so far.

16. Jimbobjoe macrumors newbie

17. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

HP eprint printers is the only way to go to print trouble free.

18. macdim macrumors 6502

Nope. I have an older HP all-in-one and I downloaded AirPrint Hactivator, clicked the hactivate button, removed and re-added the printer in settings, and everything works 100% reliably. Took 2 minutes from start to finish.

This is on a Mac with a craptastic router.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's exactly what it does. Even better, it's free.

20. fairoasis macrumors member

Found myself in need of a printer/scanner while away from home on a travel assignment...so off to Best Buy I went. I picked up an HP B219, came home, and within minutes I was printing off some paperwork required for my next assignment, scanned it back to my iPad, and sent it back out in an email. It prints flawlessly from the iPad, the iPhone, and from my MBP. Great purchase for $99.