Printing from Nikon D5000 straight to old Canon i70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by roisin and mac, Nov 18, 2011.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey :)

I have a Nikon D5000 and a very old but still working Canon i70 printer. It would be nice if I could use the latter to print photos straight from the former, without having to upload the photos to my mac first.

I looked things up in my Nikon D5000 for dummies, and it says all you need to do is plug the Nikon into the printer using the USB cable supplied with the camera, and then you would get a PictBridge screen that would let you choose photos to print.

Except when I tried that, I get nothing - it's just the usual screen that I have any time I open my camera, and it seems that the camera and printer just can't see each other at all.

Now, I understand myy printer is really, really old :) And yes, I would just love to get the new one - it's pretty freaking awesome as it talks to the 'puter using Bluetooth and even ships with a battery, so you get complete freedom from cables - a big deal for me as I take that stuff with me a lot, and even when I'm using it all at home, cables get in the way because I don't have a lot of room on my desk. Unfortunately, I'm broke (not to put too fine a point on it). So I'm trying to make the absolute most of what I have, which is where I'm hoping you guys can help me :)

If I can't use pictbridge, the Nikon apparently includes another technology for 'computerless' printing, called DPOF. But as far as I can tell, this requires the printer to have an SD card slot, and I don't think mine does - maybe plugging in a card reader would be a viable alternative? I couldn't try that, because I couldn't figure out how to select those pictures on the camera's DPOF menu (the Nikon for dummies didn't specify, and I don't currently have the Nikon's instructions to hand).

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. I know it's the longest of long shots, but I had to try (see: broke-ness)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In order to use PictBridge, you printer must support PictBridge. Nowhere in Canon's documentation for the Canon i70 Bubble Jet Color Printer is there any mention of PictBridge. You may safely conclude that your printer does not support the technology.

3. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I know what happened now. I thought I recalled that you could print direct from a digital camera using this printer (it's a function I hadn't used before) and not knowing enough about this type of technology, assumed it had to be Pictbridge as this is the one you hear of the most for the past several years. But upon looking closer at the link you gave me, I realized that while I had that right in the general sense, I was off on the details: it does mention direct-from-camera printing, but using ONLY some compatible canon cameras and a proprietary technology they called Bubble Jet Direct printing. So, obviously, that would leave my Nikon out :)

I do have an older Canon compact and might try that! It might come in handy :)

Thanks!