Printing from Windows using a Printer Connected to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by abcdefGARY, Sep 18, 2008.

1. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

One of the secrets of OS X is that all programs produce postscript, and every printer queue/driver must accept postscript and create the codes to print on the particular printer. So, your Mac's print queue expects to receive postscript and then the driver converts it for the Canon.
    You need to use a postscript print driver on the PC to send postscript to the mac. A good generic one (included in XP) is Apple Color LaserWriter xx.

Do what you were doing (Bonjour or Windows Sharing for example), but use a postscript driver on the PC.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Everything in gsahli's post is explained in the MacOS X Help menu.

4. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

5. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Try this

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

It worked for me some time ago in the same scenerio. Good luck

edit: My apology. I see you've already tried this. Wouldn't know what else to suggest. It worked for me like waving a magic wand. My PC wouldn't even load the drivers for the printer. After installing the above download from Apple, (pardon the pun) it just worked.

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I haven't seen the issue with printing a blank page, so not sure I can help...
    Here's a guide that may give you some ideas:
    http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3012.html

Like MrMe says, the info about using a postscript driver is in Mac Help. Here's what it says in the Help document "Sharing your printer with Windows users:"
    "To print to your printer using SMB/CIFS, Windows users must configure an SMB/CIFS network printer and use the Postscript printer driver, even if the printer isn't a Postscript printer. Your Mac will translate the Postscript code into code the printer can understand."