Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canoe45068

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
I cannot find any option to print in grayscale. I have looked at other forums but I do not appear to have the drop down menus/choices that they suggest. There is no print settings option anywhere. I've looked under "print preview" "view" "soft proof with profile" where there is a "generic gray profile" but the option is unavailable to me. I can't even choose how many pages I want printed. This is incredibly frustrating. Any help out there?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I had the very same problem as well. And still have.

Unfortunately Apple removed the Quartz Filters options from the Print menu. It was an amazing option to print the whole document in grayscale in Tiger.

What you are forced to do now is either:

- buy a printer for Snow Leopard that has proper driver support (i.e the printer has to have a gray/b&w option in the Print Dialogue Menu)

or

- Print the document to PDF, open it in Preview AND then apply Grayscale Quartz filter from the Save As…. Menu and then print it.

^^these exact filters Apple removed from the Print menu btw. It’s ridiculous, I know. But that is actually the only way to print greyscale in 10.6.

Melfox

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Actually, after you go to the print menu, pull the "layout" selection down to "print settings" and where it says "color" pull down to "Black ink only". It functions the same as greyscale. However, after you print in greyscale, you have to reset it to color. It doesn't reset automatically. Granted I had the pull down menu. If you don't have it, then I'm not sure what you could do. Have you tried pressing that little arrow next to the printer name selection? That brings up more options, such as the layout and print settings selection. That sounds like it should get you your page selection choices and color options.

Worked for me in OS X 10.6.6 on a Macbook Pro.

Last edited:

brownrice

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Print grayscale from OS 10.6 to Canon printer

The grayscale option has been well-hidden in the new 10.6 print menu, probably to force people to spend more money on ink. However I finally figured it out.

To print grayscale & reduce intensity (use less ink)
Go to the pull-down menu under "layout" or "preview"
Go to "Color Options" and, at the bottom, set the "intensity" slider to -15.
Go back to pull-down menu and select "Quality & Media"
If you don't see the Grayscale checkbox at the bottom right of the page, select "custom" under "print quality".
At that point, the grayscale checkbox will appear and you can check it.
Save your setting under "presets"

1000suns

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Print grayscale from OSX 10.6.8 to Kyocera Copier

Thanks brownrice for getting me close.
I couldn't find Quality & Media, but I figured out something else that worked.
From the Preview, File --> Print... dialog I chose 'Color Matching', under 'Profile', I chose Other... and selected Generic Gray Profile.
Then back up at the Presets field, I Saved As.. and called it "Grey".
When I print again from Preview, it defaults to the Grey profile I created.
Its several extra steps. I wish I didn't have to jump through Preview to use the Profile.
Anyway, the copier at our office charges for color prints over a certain limit, so its important we finally figured out any way to print in black and white.

stelly_d

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
Texas
Print grayscale from OSX 10.6.8 to Kyocera Copier

Thanks brownrice for getting me close.
I couldn't find Quality & Media, but I figured out something else that worked.
From the Preview, File --> Print... dialog I chose 'Color Matching', under 'Profile', I chose Other... and selected Generic Gray Profile.
Then back up at the Presets field, I Saved As.. and called it "Grey".
When I print again from Preview, it defaults to the Grey profile I created.
Its several extra steps. I wish I didn't have to jump through Preview to use the Profile.
Anyway, the copier at our office charges for color prints over a certain limit, so its important we finally figured out any way to print in black and white.
[doublepost=1455159097][/doublepost]If using Keynote, one can export to Powerpoint then take advantage of its superior features, including use it to directly print or create PDFs in grayscale or black/white. a more flexible solution.

(Seems odd that Apple can produce products that are superior in many regards, but fail so miserably in others. The need to include the capability to produce greyscale prints and PDFs would seem like a no-brainer. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.