Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
south africa
Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to make a database of info, and have that on your computer and also be able to print it out, or print a blank form out so you could just write the info in. And it has to look nice too...maybe with colors and pictures? is this a one program kind of thing or would it take a combination of apps? sorry to confuse, i'm not really sure what i'm asking my self... :confused: i just don't know where to start looking. thanks! :eek:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OK, we need to take a step back here....

What is it you want to accomplish? State your problem in terms of the results you want to see. What is your project?

Then, there may be software already made that does what you want, or you may want or need to set it up yourself in a general purpose database like Filemaker Pro, AppleWorks, or even Excel. Which you choose depends on the job you need it to do, what software you have or are willing to buy, and whether you need professional help in programming it to your requirements.

In general, most database programs can collect data, sort it, print the results in a list or on customizable output forms (layouts) that can include graphics and colours.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

annelize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
south africa
Ok clarification

I don't actually have a project or problem. I'm just sort of brainstorming possibilities here. So that makes it hard to say what i need. but for example lets say i want to keep track of people that are part of an event - i need to have them on the computer database, but also i want to have an exact hard copy that they can fill out and return to me. and then i can put it in the database and also have print outs to match. but it has to look nice, like i don't want to give them an ugly form that looks like it came from an ugly computer database. or maybe i would have inventory of stuff and want photos of them to be in the database, as i fill it out and then i can print it out. or i can have a blank one available so i don't have to turn on the computer for every little thing i need to catalogue. or something like that.

thanks

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
First, off what are asking is for someone to help design and code software for a project. it seems like you are just doing research now. what you should do post the specific events and goals of the project, and probably someone could tell if software like that exist to accomplish what you want, or that you will need to get some software coded for you.

to answer your question though, everything you want to do is possible, but it would have to be coded. a database won't get printed unless someone writes some software to print it out the specific data and format you want. the same goes for the input.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Here's a general purpose answer:

Filemaker Pro 7 (About $300) can do everything you have mentioned. It is particularly easy to lay out your screens and printouts the way you want them to look, and to have multiple different layouts for particular purposes.

It comes with a number of premade templates, including an address book/membership list, there are a wide variety of free- share- and commercial-ware pre-made databases available for downloading or buying,
http://www.filemakerworld.com/
and Filemaker Inc also sells bundled solutions, for example, for expense tracking or for membership and fundraising.

There is a loose organization of Filemaker programming professionals, so you can have the database customized to your specifications -- although this is not cheap.
other links
http://www.fmpro.org
http://www.filemaker.com

The database included in Appleworks is a junior version of the old Filemaker ver 2.0 - if it is just simple lists you want to maintain, this may be enough.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.