Printing Issues in Pages 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Z400Racer37, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble getting my document to print to the exact dimensions shown on the ruler in pages... i've made a youtube video to show you guys what i mean... also, i forgot to mention in the video that i have reinstalled all the drivers for the printer (hp office jet 6480) and it didn't help any... i also have an attached picture of the document in preview before printing showing that the entire page shows up... Please help!!!!

thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4dVE_TaF6o

Attached Files:

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Having the same problem.

I'm using a canon mg6220 printer.

In windows using the same printer everything is perfect.

3. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

5. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

Unfortunately, many printers of this type are annoyingly incapable of printing both borderlessly and predictably. I also have an HP printer, and I've had the same experience with it, and with an old Canon. By all reason good borderless should be possible, but I've found the "borderless" options just lead to unnecessary clipping.

The workaround is to think like a professional. No, I don't mean 'use professional software;' rather, the first step is to accept that you can't print to the edge. You need to leave a small margin---my HP will print fine with a 1/6" margin all the way around (ymmv)---and print with "borderless" turned off. Finally use a ruler and X-Acto to trim the extra bits off afterward. You won't exactly get an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet at the end, but at least everything will be printed, and it will come out at predictable measurements.

Perhaps the reason they don't allow borderless printing without expansion is the fact that nearly all consumer sheet-feeding printers are inherently imprecise in how they position the paper. If the page fed just a millimeter too quickly, you'd have a blank space at the top and some missing border at the bottom.

Sorry I can't be of more help, and perhaps someone has a better answer, but this method has never failed me. Good luck!

6. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

clicking that check box didn't work, but thanks anyways.

i like that X-Acto idea, and i will do that if there is no way to make it work as it should... any other ideas?

thanks again guys

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

It's weird that the bottom of your page was completely cut off. I'm sure you've made sure but if you go to File>Page setup... is your document definitely on the same page size as your paper? I say this because I have several A3r documents that seem to 'forget' what page size they are when they are re-opened (causing my own Pages print problems).

Like the other poster said, full-bleed is tricky. Probably best achieved by over-printing and using a paper trimmer.

Good luck!