Printing JPG files directly - Getting junk text printed instead. Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by craig1410, Dec 17, 2009.

1. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

I've been trying to automate scanning to my printer to create a virtual colour copier and came across some automator scripts (very simple). However, when I try to use the "Print Images" action it results in junk text printing instead of the image.

I then took a step back and tried printing a JPG file directly by dragging and dropping onto a desktop printer icon and I get the same result. This is therefore not an automator issue.

I also tried this on both an HP Photosmart P1100 and an HP Laserjet 4 Plus and get the same result on both.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Running fully updated 10.6.2 and can print images just fine to either printer from applications such as Preview or iPhoto.

Many thanks,
    Craig.

2. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

I think I may have answered my own question...

I just renamed one of my test images from Scan.JPG to Scan.jpg and it now behaves correctly. This really surprises me because I didn't think that OS X paid much attention to the file extension and used file metadata instead. Maybe it is lower down at the Unix level (lp command) that this is happening.

This always happens to me - I spend hours trying to figure something out. I then post a message on a forum and then 10 minutes later find the solution myself...

Anyway, I hope this might help someone else in the same position.
    Craig.