printing midi files

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by achtung!, Dec 31, 2008.

1. achtung! macrumors regular

hey all! i'm looking for a simple app that opens midi files, recognizes the notation, then let me print several pages, save to pdf, etc..

anyone?

thks in advance,
    cheers

2. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

This isn't cheap

I use Finale. It does a great job of creating sheet music from MIDI files.

http://www.finalemusic.com/

Happy New Year

Terry

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't know what to recommend except to sayy that these guy seem to be THE standard.

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius_first/index.html

The hard part for me with any of this is getting a clean MIDI file. But I think maybe it's just me. I'm a beginner at the keyboard and the MIDI files I record do not look good. For example I try to play a series of quarter notes and some come out as eights with 1/8 rests. That's what I get for leaving a space between notes. My MIDI files would require much editing before they could be printed.

4. achtung! thread starter macrumors regular

thks a lot for the replies. i think i'll give finale a try! ;)

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

One more.... I've been learning about Apple's "Logic" it has a score editor built in. Logic has several "views" of the MIDI files. Yu can edit it as a piano rol or as a list of text lines and one view is the "score". If you intend to set up a home studio and like Logic for recording and mixing it will also print nice looking music

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Finale and Sibelius are the standards. They allow the most editing to make the score look very professional. Logic and other DAWs do not allow nearly as much editing.