Printing on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by arian19, Nov 14, 2013.

1. arian19 macrumors 6502

I remember the keynote when Steve said that printing would be available to all printers... What ever happened to that? Has Apple given up on contacting the manufactures, to allow printing from iOS? Why wouldn't printer company's want them to use their printers with iOS, the consumption of ink will only benefit them?

Can someone clarify this mess to me?

2. ScottW1 macrumors regular

There are LOTS of printers from LOTS of manufacturers that support Airprint printing. Here is the documented list, which is always a bit behind what's actually available:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

At the end of the day, Airprint interface has been published and it is up to individual manufacturers (not Apple) to support it or not in their individual products.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Like AirPlay it's just not catching on. Too bad, they are both great features.

4. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Adoption could be greater, for sure, but as of June-2013 there were over 700 printers from 16 different manufacturers supporting Airprint. That's pretty decent given it's only been around for three years. And the list grows every month.

5. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

Ya, I agree with all of this. There are many printers that support AirPrint. And it's not on Apple that some manufacturers decide not to implement the protocol on their products.

That said: check out the Lantronix XPrintServer: http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/xprintserver/xprintserver.html

It's a device that connects to your router and ANY printer, enabling you to print to it from any iOS device. Great product - we have the Office version installed at work with a full scale Toshiba eStudio copy machine. Employees can print directly to that machine from iPads and iPhones with ease. Slick!

6. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

We have these giant Xerox printers at work, and I wish AirPrint worked with them... I digress.

7. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Which models? Xerox has added Airprint support for most of their WorkCentre line and the 8000/9000 line as well. Might just be an issue of getting the right firmware upgrade. Of course in a work environment, there are often connectivity issues to address as well (i.e., getting your phone/tablet on the network, having support for bonjour, etc.).

8. arian19 thread starter macrumors 6502

We have a:
    • Xerox WorkCentre Pro 35, v1 Multifunction System

9. ScottW1, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

ScottW1 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, the Pro 35 was a 2005 model. No longer sold and no Airprint support since it predated Airprint by (5) years.

Xerox's direct replacement for the Pro 35 is the 5845/5855, which DOES support Airprint. And they are (only) about $16k a pop. (cough)

10. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

You can buy an external print server with AirPrint support for $100.

11. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I leave my Mac Mini on all the time and have HandyPrint installed on it which makes any printer setup on your mac AirPrint Compatible :)

As said the only downside is you have to have the computer on all the time to print all the time. This is not a problem for me as I always leave my machine switched on.

HandyPrint: http://www.netputing.com/handyprint/

May help someone :)

12. terrywfoster macrumors regular

13. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Another option is an app called Printopia.

Looks like it works similar to Handyprint in printing features, but an additional feature I like is Send to Mac for those times you want a PDF of something (ie. online receipt) and don't want taking up space in your iDevice.

HTH

14. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Have used Printopia too, another advantage with this app is they also have a windows version :)