Printing onto disc, or sticky disc labels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slater-k, May 10, 2013.

1. slater-k macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice - i need to print disc labels fairly regularly and with my Neato paper labels being discontinued / trying 2 poor replacements / my canon MG5350 printer's "ez print" software being awful and unable to print a single image onto a disc ... i'm looking for alternatives.

Ideally, i'd like to be able to print directly from photoshop onto a disc. I'm so desperate that i'd even buy a printer especially for this single purpose if it was under £100 :eek::eek:

I've heard of light scribe drives, but the media seems to be very expensive.

So ... anyone have a cheap printer that will print onto discs directly from photoshop, or anyone have a good sticky paper labelling system that they can recommend.

Many thanks if you can put me out of my misery!!

2. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I would look into lightscribe or a good old sharpie marker.
    In my years dealing with computers CDs with labels do not belong in slot loaded drives.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

4. slater-k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Sadly i bought a Canon for this very reason, only to find that it won't print from photoshop, and using the Canon software, it seems to me that you can't print a single image across the whole of the disc ... very disappointing (and infuriating!).

Do you know Takeshi, if the Epson printer will print to disc from PS?

The discs are for clients so handwriting on them is not an option. The sticky label solution is fine, i've no issues with it if it works, but apart from the Neato solution that has been discontinued, i've yet to find one that does work well due to flimsy paper.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The Epson print software is excellent, I use it all the time. You can cut and paste Photos or PC images onto the disk template, resize, etc. Never tried directly printing from Photo shop, but have taken edited images and used Epson print to print them onto printable media.

I always had trouble with stick on labels that make disks wobble or too thick for some consumer DVD players.

6. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Most specialty prints tend to have their own application, and generally are crappy on the Mac side. Both Lightscribe and my Primera disc printers work like crap when trying to run off Mac. I keep a crappy PC around just for printing stuff like that. Generally I design things in PS and just export a bmp or png for whatever I need and bring it into my PC.

7. slater-k thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys ... great info!

FYI anyone coming after me, re: the canon easy-photoprint software - their site directs you to an old version. Dig around and you'll get the most up to date version ... in this case the newest version was much better than the older one i had.