Printing passwords

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kenglade, Feb 26, 2013.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I suspect that it's not easy, given that it would be a major security flaw. :D

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess you're right. Passwords are driving me crazy lately. Sites that never asked for passwords are now demanding them.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I keep passwords in two places. One is in keychain. The other is in a password safe on my iphone that syncs to the same software on my ipad and my Mac. I have heard good things about 1password, splashid and there are many others. I'm not mentioning mine here mainly because despite the fact it works, I have mixed feelings about it.

This will require some work on your part, opening passwords in keychain, picking "show password" and then typing them in to whatever password safe you choose to use. I prefer NOT to have passwords saved by any web browser as I imagine that one day somebody will figure out a way to steal them using java or javascript. This is one feature of 1password that I would skip: it's integration with safari.

If sites are demanding passwords every time, perhaps there is something going on in your browser that is causing cookies to get deleted? Have you been erasing browsing history lately? Remember that if you have "remember me" or "stay logged in" picked on a lot of web sites, if you clear your browser history including cookies, you will have to log in all over again. This is not as dangerous as having passwords lying around in your browser as the cookies shouldn't actually contain your password but rather they should contain some sort of non human readable "key" that indicates you are currently logged in.

There is a way to dump your keychain to plain text but I recommend deleting it as soon as you are done getting your passwords into an encrypted file of some sort. More info at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/717095/is-there-a-quick-and-easy-way-to-dump-the-contents-of-a-macos-x-keychain

5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

You're a wealth of information. Many thanks. Switching password managers is a gigantic pain but in my case I think it's going to have to be done. I think I'd rather go to the dentist.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I recommend 1Password from Agilebits. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for - an excellent App with second to none support. They have a OS X App as well as Apps for iOS and Windows as well. You can sync them all together.

7. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, James, but I just uninstalled 1Password. I wrestled with them for a week and was never able to fix the problem. It ate all my passwords and support was never able to find them.

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have been using 1Password for two years, never had a problem with it. What do you mean by it ate your passwords - No longer in the database ? Did you try restoring the database from one of the backups ?

9. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

It was after an upgrade, I think from 3.x to 5.x. Tried to open it and I got an error message saying it was unable to find the file that had my passwords in it. i forget the name of the file. Got onto support immediately and they had me send the troubleshooting report. This went on for several days. kept sending them whatever they asked for but they were never able to find the file with my passwords. Tried TimeMachine but that was no help. Ditto CrashPlan. All I was able to recover was the updated version which said I couldn't opne it because it couldn't find the file.

10. James Craner, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You sure it was 1Password - The OS X app has been Version 3.x for a while now - Version 4 is due soon but has not been released yet ( the iOS App has recently gone from 3.x to 4.x, but not the OS X App). There is no version 5.

1Password for OS X keeps its own backups - you don't need Time Machine (well assuming that automatic backups is enabled in preferences, which it is by default).

Where did you keep the 1Password database, locally or on Dropbox?

Where you using just the OS X App or the iOS App as well ?

The database is stored in the file 1Password.agilekeychain, backups are normally stored in User>Library>Application Support>1Password>Backups

Screenshot_26_02_2013_23_22.png

11. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I'm sure it was 1Password because I, too, had been using it for years and was happy with how t operated until I succumbed to the upgrade demands (at a new rates, of course) and things went to hell. You're right about no 5. My latest license was fro 1Password 3 and the latest version I could find reference to was 3.8.20.

----------

James

Here is the last exchange I had with Agile. It was just before Christmas.

Subject: Re: Can't open 1Password [1Password 3.8 for Mac (from AgileBits website) #24210]
    To: "Kyle Swank" <tender2+d01cd01a9726ac84e5d26bf686fcd7fc32e607628@tenderapp.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 10:42 AM

Kyle

i found it, opned it to 1password 3.8.20 which is blank

Please visit my photo website: www.kengladephotos.com

--- On Tue, 12/18/12, Kyle Swank <tender2+d01cd01a9726ac84e5d26bf686fcd7fc32e607628@tenderapp.com> wrote:

From: Kyle Swank <tender2+d01cd01a9726ac84e5d26bf686fcd7fc32e607628@tenderapp.com>
    Subject: Re: Can't open 1Password [1Password 3.8 for Mac (from AgileBits website) #24210]
    To: kenglade@yahoo.com
    Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 10:03 AM

// Add your reply above here
    ==================================================
    Subject: Can't open 1Password

Hi Ken,

Could you search in Spotlight for "1Password.agilekeychain"

Do you find anything?

Happy Holidays!

Kyle Swank
    AgileBits Support