Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hello all.

I have an Epson r300 photo printer, and I print just fine with Windows.

However, I dont know how to set things like iPhoto or any of that to print the 4x6 (102x152 mm) Glossy Photo Paper.

Anyone know what settings I need to set and all that good stuff? Ive tried on the Epson support site but didnt help.

Give me a hand, pleeease =)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
::cries::

Okay, forget that I even have a Epson, what settings do the rest of you use when you print 4x6 photos?

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Patience patience! No need to start crying after 3 hours...

Haven't actually printed out proper 4x6 glossies but I'm guessing you'll want to set the size to 4x6 in the dialog box; then click 'advanced', select 'print settings' from the pop-up menu and choose 'premium glossy photo paper' or suchlike from the 'media type' options.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I did some borderless 4x6 prints on my dad's R300 this weekend. You have to go to Page Setup under the File menu and then select the Epson R300 in the Printer pull down menu. Once that is selected, you can select the paper sizes in the Paper Size pull down menu. Then select OK.

Now choose Print fromt he File menu and start going throught the options. I don't recall what it was under, but there is an option in one fo them for Glossy, etc. and there is an option (a check box) for Photos. Once you get it all set up I would do a Save Preset and call it Photos or something so you don't have to do it again.

Click Print and enjoy.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Did what you said, but theres so much space not being printed on the paper.

Which way did you feed the paper? Standing up or laying down?

Settings: Page Attributes
Format for : Stylus Photo R300
Paper Size: 4x6 in (borderless)
Orientation: 1st one
Scale 100%

Now for file>print
Printer: Stylus Photo R300
Presets: Photos
Style: Full Page
Margins 0.00in

Advanced options..
Print Settings:

Page Setup: Standard
Media Tyle: Glossy Photo Paper
Color: Color
Mode: Advanced
Print Quality: Photo
High Speed

STIG

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
Guernsey, Channel Islands
I have an R200, so it's basically the same printer. If you are using the 6x4 sample paper that came with the printer, you need to set the print settings in iPhoto paper size to be 10x15cm, not 6x4 inches. Before I did that I was getting a white border around the photos. Also try cropping the photo to 6x4 in iPhoto.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
STIG said:
I have an R200, so it's basically the same printer. If you are using the 6x4 sample paper that came with the printer, you need to set the print settings in iPhoto paper size to be 10x15cm, not 6x4 inches. Before I did that I was getting a white border around the photos. Also try cropping the photo to 6x4 in iPhoto.

Where do you see the option to make it 10x15.

The highest I see is 8x10

STIG

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
Sorry, not in front of a mac at the moment. But I think when you say 8x10 you are seing 8x10 inches. When I had trouble printing I set the paper size to 10x15 centimetres, which is just slightly smaller than 4x6 inches. As I said, before I did that I would not get a borderless print. It would have a small border about 1/2 cm thick - like an old postcard or photo would be. I'll have a look at the settings sometime later.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
STIG said:
Sorry, not in front of a mac at the moment. But I think when you say 8x10 you are seing 8x10 inches. When I had trouble printing I set the paper size to 10x15 centimetres, which is just slightly smaller than 4x6 inches. As I said, before I did that I would not get a borderless print. It would have a small border about 1/2 cm thick - like an old postcard or photo would be. I'll have a look at the settings sometime later.

Ok Im looking forward to your response.

Would be cool if you would tell me exact settings like I wrote above.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
You're not alone mrzeve. I've got the exact same printer with the exact same problem. I think I've tried every setting possible, but i still get a good sized half inch border around the thing. Why is borderless printing not borderless? The only way I can get a proper picture is to plug a memory card from a camera directly into the printer and use the printer as a standalone.

STIG

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
Hi all.

Well I've had a look and now I'm confused as well. Although the printer is only a couple of months old, I've only printed a few trial photos. During that time I've upgraded to iLife 05 and now when checking the settings in iPhoto I don't see the same options as I previously did. If you happen to have iLife 04 loaded, I am fairly sure the option was in the print settings dialog box, accessed using the advanced button. Now when I check there I get a new dialog allowing me to scale the page. It does list 3.5 x 5 inches as a paper size. When I get the chance I will try that and see what happens. In the meantime try measuring the photo paper. The little samples I got with the printer were not quite 4x6 inches, which lead me to try the 10x15cm size - which was more like their true measured size.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
mkubal said:
You're not alone mrzeve. I've got the exact same printer with the exact same problem. I think I've tried every setting possible, but i still get a good sized half inch border around the thing. Why is borderless printing not borderless? The only way I can get a proper picture is to plug a memory card from a camera directly into the printer and use the printer as a standalone.

Yep. Its like its printing right in the middle of the the paper and wasteing the rest of the space.

STIG

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
Well I've had a fiddle around this morning and like you I also can't get borderless 4x6 inch prints. Very frustrating as this was working previously. The 2 changes that have happened recently are the iLife 05 install and upgrading to Tiger. In all honesty I couldn't say which upgrade "broke" the printing. I have tried using 3.5x5 inch and also setting a custom print size of 10x15 cm and 10.64x15.64 (includes .32 margins). They all failed to print borderless. The best was the 10.64. I've now run out of paper so when I get some more I will try a bigger custom size.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I'm pretty sure that my successful 4x6 borderless glossy photo print with my Epson R200 was from Photoshop CS under Panther. If Photoshop CS is an option you might want to try that.

supersize

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2004
I just had the same issue with my R300. try reinstalling the printer in the System preferences control panel and make sure you select the Stylus Photo R300 (Sheet Feeder - Borderless) then make sure you have that set as the default printer. It will add an option to your advanced print menu called "expansion" which as far as i can tell is just extra bleed to make sure it does do borderless. (make sure you change this to Min. if your printing anything else because it adds image area to that too. I tried printing some 8x10s and they came out larger but it was fixed by turning off expansion.) I hope this helps.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
supersize said:
I just had the same issue with my R300. try reinstalling the printer in the System preferences control panel and make sure you select the Stylus Photo R300 (Sheet Feeder - Borderless) then make sure you have that set as the default printer. It will add an option to your advanced print menu called "expansion" which as far as i can tell is just extra bleed to make sure it does do borderless. (make sure you change this to Min. if your printing anything else because it adds image area to that too. I tried printing some 8x10s and they came out larger but it was fixed by turning off expansion.) I hope this helps.

Well I did what you said and it did make it BETTER but its still by no means borderless :confused:

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I STILL have not gotten a solution to this problem.

Has anyone with an R300 been able to print proper photos with Epson Glossy 4X6 Photopaper?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
mrzeve said:
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I STILL have not gotten a solution to this problem.

Has anyone with an R300 been able to print proper photos with Epson Glossy 4X6 Photopaper?

I have that printer and as Rod Rod said, it will work but try using Photoshop anything really. I used Photoshop Elements 3 and it works fine as I don't use the software that comes with the R300. My Canon iP6600D will work giving "borderless" using PSE 3 as well so that's just what I stick with.
Good luck as Epsons seem to either work very well or not at all :cool:

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
I have both an R300 and an R1800 in the house and both print out fine on 10x15cm from all applications I've used (Photoshop Elements, Canvas 10 and iPhoto). The only problem I've ever had is the occasional white line along the vertical side caused by my being a bit sloppy in loading the paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.