Printing photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by strausd, Jan 14, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

Hey, I am buying a new printer soon and need some advice. I will need an all in one just because I do a lot of scanning and copying. Right now I am undecided between these two:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...all-in-one&product_code=L2526A#ABA&catLevel=2

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...all-in-one&product_code=CD055A#ABA&catLevel=2

I probably won't use the light scribe very often so that is not a big deal for me. The first one has 6 ink cartridges: black, cyan, light cyan, magenta, light magenta, and yellow. The second one has 5: black, cyan, magenta, yellow, and photo black. My main question is which one will have better quality when printing? If you have an all in one that has better quality than both of these and is about the same price it would be great to get your advice on that. Thanks!

2. H2Ockey macrumors regular

Don't know if this helps, but since switching to a Mac i've sworn of HP. They have a bit of a sketchy history maintaining updates for MacOS. I have two somewhat older HP printers that still function quite well, but not with a Mac. HP just stopped updating drivers and made them obsolete. A newer printer might have a better print quality, but similar to one of the best lines i've ever read on a forum, the print quality of the printers I have did not diminish when a newer model came out.

Just my opinion, and i have yet to purchase a new printer, I reboot with boot camp if i need some quick prints and go off site (usually costco) for all of my others now.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I agree with H2Ockey - bad support for older HP printers in Snow Leopard, and HP don't care, despite lots of complaints on their support forums. I won't be buying their stuff again.

Take a look at the costs of printing your own photos compared to getting prints done online and mailed to you. I used to print my own, but it's more expensive with more variable results. Uploading some shots actually takes less of my time - so I 'downgraded' from a colour inkjet to a black & white laser printer, which has been very reliable and cheap to run.

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ya but i really need to know which of those two would have better quality