Printing Poster Issues - Color bleeding help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Feb 13, 2012.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I am running a film festival, and we are trying to print off 4 posters that will go in the back lit frames. The issue is that on normal glossy card stock (invites) the image comes out blue, but when we print it on the special paper to let light through it turns to an aqua green. The printer says it will be blue when put up to the light, but since it will only be in the back lit frames for one night and then back to the regular frames then after, I can not have it be aqua green.

He says the reason that the blue is turning an aqua green is that the paper used to print such posters is a yellow tinted paper and the blue bleeds to an aqua green.

Is there any way I can manipulate the file so that it won't have this effect?

NOTE: A link of the file is provide. Also, I've worked with this printed on a monthly business for the last year and he has been absolutely wonderful. I'm not trying to say he isn't working with us, but we are at a stand still on how to fix this issue. I can't take the posters down to the theatre because it's an extra $500 to open the theatre every time it needs to be opened.

Blue Poster File
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Aqua Blue Poster once printed (Incorrect)
    [​IMG]

2. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Would it work to bring the artwork into Photoshop and manipulate the colors from there?

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That's what I am hoping, but I don't know how to manipulate them so there yellow tinted paper will not cause the blues to change to green.

4. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

It sounds like you would need to add blue to the photo then to compensate. The question is how much though, and that is hard to know without doing some test prints.

You can use "Color Balance", "Photo Filter", or "Channel Mixer" to do this.

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

If I add more blue, do you think it will end up a darker green? Or since the paper is such a small tint in yellow, the dark blue should negate it's effect?

6. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Hmmm... I'm not certain. But, I think that the slight addition of the blue should cancel out the yellow.

Try opening the two files that you attached in Photoshop.
    The original digital file (pre printing): use Color Balance and adjust the yellow-blue slider towards the yellow, and the result should be pretty much what you had on the print.

Then open the photograph in Photoshop and add blue to that image, and you should see that the result is close to what you want to get (in the printed version).

You may even want to scan the printed version to see how much blue you would need to add in Photoshop, although it will still be a pretty rough estimate.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm going to have to get the original photoshop file. We were paying someone to build this, and perhaps I can adjust all the different blue layers with out affecting the white/red text.

Hopefully this works.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Eventually I got back the original photoshop file. It took forever and was a complete nightmare, but finally when I had the file in my hand, the printer and I were able to work some sort of wizardy to make the poster print correctly.