Printing posters - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by qveda, Apr 22, 2011.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I would like to print some posters, in the size range of 24x36 .
    Looking for recommendations. I'm not expecting the level of quality that you'd expect from photo printing in that size, but I've seen some that look pretty dull and lifeless. I know you usually get what you pay for.

Any recommendations on a good , relatively low cost service for printing posters?

2. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Believe it or not, I've had EXCELLENT luck with Target. One in town specifically, I've found a gal that works the counter to be as much a geek as myself when it comes to the print quality. They have excellent gear, and as long as your shot is decent (and High Rez!), your print should mimic it

J

3. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought about checking out CostCo. my image would be that of a poster, with text etc. so the photo will not fill up the entire poster. I had one of these done once for a low cost, but can't recall the vendor. just sent in a poster image to www.shortrunposters.com to try them. I'll let you know how it comes out. But would prefer recommendations from someone who can confirm good results.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I've used Mpix and Bay Photo but that can get pricey unless there is a special offer. My business partner uses Staples for some beautiful large posters at a reasonable price.

5. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Target and Office Max both have Canon imagePROGRAF professional wide format printers that they use for printing large posters... They should produce some very nice results for you.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/printers/large_format_printers/graphic_arts_and_photo_printers

I use MPIX primarily for anything up to 24x36 and have been very happy with the results. Yes, they can be a bit up there in price, however for professional results and color-managed output, I feel it's well worth it.

6. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Are these graphics posters, or photos? Yes, you can get 24x36 prints at full photo quality if that's what you're looking for.

I'd argue most of the time a dull and lifeless result comes back, it was the fault of the file creator/preparer and not the printer (failing to soft proof, not using a calibrated monitor, incorrect usage of color profiles, too low of source resolution, etc). As long as you know what you're doing on your end, the print shop knows what they're doing on their end.

Ruahrc

7. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to do some "posters" which typically are a lower dpi than full color enlargements of photos. These posters have signficant white space and text. want them to 'pop', but not expecting full color-corrected photos suitable for gallery or sale as 'photos'. also need the price to be low, perhaps under $10 for 24x36

8. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

You should try to focus on using vector graphics as much as possible.

Unless this is a large print run on a commercial press (500-1000 units), I don't think <$10 for a 24x36 is a realistic price point. The paper itself probably costs at least $10.

9. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I should have mentioned that these posters are for a 'fun' project, very low quantity. Services like www.shortrunposters.com offer this price point, but I'd like to find some others to try