Printing Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jstrum, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jstrum macrumors newbie

I am having a problem with leopard. I have a 1 year old iMac in the office I work in. We have other mac's that connect through apple talk to the printers wirelessly to print documents. The iMac was running tiger OS and had no problem printing and then about a week ago we installed Leopard and since then we cannot print from the computer. The airport is on, Apple Talk is enabled in the network settings under airport tab and for some reason when I go to add printer in the print and fax menu, under the apple talk option under print and fax, none of the printers appear. All of the other mac's using leopard have no problems recognizing the printers through apple talk someone please help me!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Make sure that you have the latest driver for your printer. If you do, then redo the printer setup.

3. jstrum thread starter macrumors newbie

attempt failed

I attempted to download the driver for the printers and i loaded the most recent driver and it said driver installed successfully but the computer still does not recognize any of them in apple talk and when I try to print it says that the computer cannot connect to the printer, and printer not responding. (I tried adding the printers manually)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

AppleTalk? Perhaps, you need to give us the brand and model of your printer.

5. jstrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, it is an OKI C9200 but I already downloaded the driver and I am using apple talk to connect to the printers wirelessly. Using apple talk works for all the other macs in the office and I dont know why it will not work on this computer.

6. jstrum thread starter macrumors newbie

latest update

Here is the latest,

I turned the air port on the computer off and plugged in an ethernet connection to our internet server and the computer was able to recognize all of the apple talk shared printers through ethernet. But when I turn the ethernet off and turn the air port back on, it doesnt recognize anything which leads me to believe its not the printer driver it is something with the air port and how it is trying to use apple talk. what should or can i do?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are seven (7) different models of the OKI C9200 listed on the manufacturer's website. This line was discontinued in 2003. As far as I can see, the most recent software was released in 2002 for MacOS X 10.1. This may have nothing to do with your problems, but it could. I have never had a problem communicating with a printer via AppleTalk over Wi-Fi.

I would suggest that you make sure that you have Wi-Fi (AirPort) and AppleTalk setup correctly. If they are, then your problem is likely a poor implementation of AppleTalk on your printer. Your printer most certainly support IP-printing. Communicate with the printer via TCP/IP and worry about the rest later.

8. wehomac macrumors newbie

problem solved with imac and hp D4260 printer - too slow and printing text too small!

Very tricky. I had a similar problem with my hp 4260 printer using my new imac and decided to call Apple. They couldn't help me and HP doesn't help anyone on the weekends!! Worthless. Apple is usually pretty good when it comes to technical questions. However, they never heard of a printing problem like mine. I was having - I usually had to wait 25 minutes to print a page, so I decided to go to HP's website and install the new driver/software. One would think that this would work, but it didn't. It made it worse!! I re-installed the software from the website and also the original cd that came with the printer and it would only print a page in "Fast Draft" mode. If I wanted to print a "normal" or "best" quality page, it would get stuck printing and finally print [spit out!] the text so small, even Thom Thumb or a bug would have trouble reading!! So I called Apple and they made me do exactly what I had already did. Download the software after disconnecting the printer's USB cable and shut down the computer. Unplug the computer for 15 seconds and turn off the printer. Re-start the computer and plug in the printer's USB cable and hopefully the printing would be back to normal. Guess what? It didn't work. So Apple told me to call HP [they were closed for the weekend!].
    So - I thought for a moment. I am going to Un-install it [for the 8th time!!!], but this time, this is what I did; and this should solve many people's problems on several printers on Leopard and Tiger OS. Just do this, and you may have to do this several times, because the computer still recognizes some of the extraneous bits of programming from the former corrupt software. Follow these steps:

1. Un-install the printer's software
    2. Shut down your computer.
    3. Unplug your USB cable from your computer AND printer.
    4. Unplug your printer's power cord from printer.
    5. Unplug your computer.
    6. Wait for 5 minutes.
    7. Turn on computer.
    8. Install orginal printer software [don't download anything from website]
    9. After installation, turn restart computer.
    10.Re-plug computer's/printer's USB cables and plug in printer's power cord back into printer
    11.Repeat these steps until your printer works properly!

This actually worked when I thought it would NOT, but persistence usually pays off when installing/re-installing and REMOVING software. That was probably the problem - "lingering" residual software that was not needed and finally was "forgotten" by the computer/printer!! Who knows. Good luck and keep trying.