Printing Question for a dorm room

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Absberg2k, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Absberg2k macrumors newbie

My daughter will be starting college in the fall. She has a Macbook and her roommate will have a PC. The university offers wireless access in the dorms so they can both log on independently with no problems.

They will need a printer I would assume. My question is: What is the easiest and most reliable solution for them to share one printer? I assume we can't add the printer to the university's network. Should they just connect via usb cable when they want to print? Should they set up a separate wireless network in their room to share the printer? I'm sure they are really going to want to be able to print wirelessly. Should I send her to school with a Time Capsule for backup and hook the printer up to it?

I'm just not sure how to make this work for both of them.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It all depends on how the university network is set up; personally I set my printer up on the network and everyone can print to it, but I just give the IP address to people that I allow.

Yes I guess your daughter could create a subnet with just your roommate's computer and her's with the printer, but I find that a lot more tedious.