Printing remotely

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by happydudeca, Aug 1, 2007.

1. happydudeca macrumors member

I've got a 2.2 MBP and I'd like to know how I can print while not connected to the printer. We've got a Dell PC hooked up to a printer that I'd like to use remotely. We've got a Leonovo laptop that someone set up to print via our router (connected to the Dell), but I don't know how one goes about doing this for a Mac. :confused:

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I'm not excatly sure, but I think you can either (a) get software or (b) instal bonjour on all PCs(mac already has it). I am not sure what to do on windows from now on, but on mac turn on 'Printer Sharing' in sharing preferences. The amc will automatically show up in your printers folder, if set up on PC correctly. Or! You can follow instructions here!

3. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

I tried and failed. Screw it, I'll just mess around with cables I guess. :mad:

4. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

the printer is hooked up to the router or to the Dell PC? If the router, which one? You should be able to find a guide about installing the printer on the router manufacturer's website. If it's connected to the PC and the OS is Windows XP, right mouse click on the printer, Sharing and Security, share it as something, then go to the Mac and the printer dialog, add, navigate to the printer on your network and add it. Shouldn't be too much to it.