Printing scale plans to life size with Preview?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tumbleweed666, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I have a pdf containing, on a single page, cutouts for the plans for a woodworking project. What I'd like to do is print the pdf much larger (to actual size for the plans) and 'tiled' so that I can then use them as life sized templates to transfer onto the wood.
    I cant offhand see how to do this in preview, if I select 'no automatic page scaling' then I just get the bottom left hand corner of the scaled up plan.

Is there a way to do this in Preview or do I need a different app?

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Load it into Photoshop, Illustrator, or other app that will allow you to set the doc size and use the printer driver. From there the math should be simple.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

as far as i know, you should be able to do that in the print settings (if the image measurements are to scale), however, there will be some 'clipping'' at the page edges which may be annoying...

so like Tesselator, I'd recommend importing it into photoshop, and then arrange each cutout on pages that are the size you'll be printing

that said, i do almost everything in photoshop...including writing this post (/jks)

- Michael