Printing/scanning through a 1st generation Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Petje, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Petje macrumors newbie

Petje

In my previous configuration the printer/scanner was plugged into my time-capsule and printing an scanning was no problem.
    Now we have moved and the Brother DCP-7045N cannot be placed next to the time-capsule anymore.

So I took my 1st generation airport express to do the job but however I managed to configure the airport express under OSX 10.8.2 (installing the old airport utility was not as easy as it should be) the printer cannot be found.
    I keep getting the message the "printer is not connected" or "connection failed"
    Maybe the messages are not exactly like this as I translated it from Dutch.

Can anyone tell me if the 1st generation airport express supports network printing/scanning.
    Or give any suggestions to help me to get it to work.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Have you tried deleting the printer and adding it again?

3. Petje thread starter macrumors newbie

Petje

Removing and adding the printer again did not do the job, still getting the message that the printer cannot be found.
    I tried the same with a current generation Airport Express and then the printer can be found.

I would like to use the first generation Airport Express for the Printer as I have other means for the new Airport Express, and I thought this should work.
    But maybe I am mistaken.

Does a first generation Airport Express support connecting a network Printer/Scanner?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

By all means it should.

The printer/scanner in question, is it a USB printer/scanner or are you connecting via Ethernet? If it's a USB printer/scanner, scanning functions won't work when connected to an Apple AirPort Base Station (Express, Extreme or Time Capsule).

I would try a factory reset on the Express and set it up exactly how you set up the second gen Express.

Can you post screen shots of the configuration screens of both Expresses? Do you have other printers with which you can test the first gen Express?

I hope somebody else chimes in with some input. I have to admit I'm not very exprienced when it comes to setting up printers with the Express.