Printing text from websites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thepreludedude, Jan 13, 2009.

1. thepreludedude macrumors member

Not sure if I am in the right topic but.....

I am trying to find a way to just print the text of a website. When I am on Firefox or Safari (both latest editions) sometimes I come across a site that I would like to print but would rather not print all the ads, etc. This would be very helpful on some of my online classes where I would like to print some stuff to study without all the banners and crap.
    If I copy and paste the text into word it loses the format. say if it looks like something like this:

date time event

instead it pastes as

date
    time
    event

I hope i am making some sort of sense here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. sahnert macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Try the summarize service in the services menu. It might not be quite what you are looking for but I've used it for this purpose before. Select everything and the page and then in the summarize window you can adjust the length of the summary to maximum.

3. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Try using print preview.

I save lots of pages off the internet. What I normally do is this:
    I usually browse in Firefox. However Safari formats pages for printing much better than Firefox. I copy the url from Firefox and paste it into Safari. Then I go to the "File" menu and select "print". Then I select "Preview" in the "Print" menu. Then after checking the looks of the file, the ads are usually filtered out, I go to the "File" menu and "Save" the file in Preview. It becomes a pdf file.

Terry

4. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the Aardvark firefox addon will be the solution for you? It lets you quickly remove the elements you don't want from a webpage or isolate the elements you do want before you print it.