Printing through computer memory

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 617arg, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 617arg macrumors 6502

I posted this in the OSX forum about a week ago. Got no response so I thought I'd try here:

Hello,

I have finally gotten my parallel port plotter to work with OS X through the use of Gutenprint drivers but have a little issue. Some of the files I need to print are fairly large and it seems like the plotter runs out of memory. When I was using it through my Windows machine there was an option to use the computer's memory rather than the printer's. I can't seem to find such an option on the Mac. Is it possible? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The plotter is an HP 450c if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

2. belvdr macrumors 601

I know what you're talking about, either printing directly to the printer or spooling on the computer. I have not seen that in OS X, which uses CUPS if I'm correct.

3. 617arg thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

What is CUPS?

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Common Unix Printing System (CUPS). The print control system used on OS X and on linux, etc. Every print job gets "spooled" by CUPS. Maybe there's a printer memory setting available which will keep CUPS from sending too much at once.
    Look at http://localhost:631
    (internal cups admin page) to see if the Printers/Configure area has a memory setting.