Printing to a mobile printer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by msduncan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. msduncan macrumors 6502

This printing situation for businesses is desperate.

Has ANYONE out there figured out a way to print on the go? I have a internal customer that works in the field. He wants a way to print to a mobile printer -- literally from his truck or places that don't have PC's or printers readily available.

He has an HP 470B, but can't get it to work (or even handshake) with the iPad no matter what printing app he tries.

He's open to looking at other mobile printers (or even small non-mobile if he can get it to work on the go) if someone has figured out how to do it or what model to use.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If je doesn't feel like jailbreaking his iPad this is currently what's on the menu...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

Firmware 4.3 Will surely bring a few additional printers to the list but don't expect much

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

At first I thought you were posting about this other guy who wants to print from his truck:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/07/ask-tuaw-the-ipad-2-is-almost-here-edition/ (It's the second question on the page).

I'm not sure what to tell you though... Either run a car PC from his truck that can properly share a printer for the iPad or buy one of the new printers that is compatible with the iPad and run it off an inverter.

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I've 'hacktivated' my iMac to allow printing to my shared/network printers and so have sort of forgotten about this issue. But the post reminds me...

It's pretty disappointing that the list of printers remains so incredibly short, and that NO (let alone 'many') additional models have even been announced from any other manufacturer.

Which tells me that either Apple has told all the mfrs behind the scenes to hold off pending a universal solution, OR, Apple's iPad printing strategy is farked.