Printing to a network printer without a Mac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by el-John-o, Nov 30, 2010.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Okay so I have a networked printer (not a shared printer, it's ethernet to the router), it's an older Color Laser (Konica Minolta Magicolor 2430DL). I don't have a 'current' mac, or a mac I actually use anyway, so airprint hacktivator won't work. Is there a way (preferably non jailbreak) to print to my printer from an iPad?

Thanks,

John

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I was about to open a new thread asking a similar question. I'm also looking for an iPad app that will allow me to print to a network printer, without the need of a 'helper' app to install on a PC or Mac.

Regarding your Konica Minolta Printer, I think that it should work if it has these generic characteristics:
    - Uses port 9100 to print.
    - Supports PostScript or PCL5.

I have read that a company called EuroSmartz makes several apps capable of doing this, but I would like to get first hand information from someone who is already using it. Sometimes AppStore reviews could be inaccurate due to 'external' influences.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Don't think this is possible yet as there has to be a host device to host drivers on such as a Mac or PC.

4. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I have 2 wired ethernet printers that would be nice to print directly to from the iPad.

This app - PrintCentral - is a bit much ($9.99) for what should be a simple task, but it looks like it only supports wifi printers. From the description, it doesn't specifically spell out any support for wired ethernet printers.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/printcentral-for-ipad/id366020849?mt=8

Worth at least contacting the developer and asking what they support.

5. Lagranger macrumors member

Yes, although most of the apps that print directly from iOS to a networked printer (i.e. a standalone printer with an embedded printserver or one coupled with an external printerserver device) will come pre-packaged with drivers that only support a specific gamut of printers. This is out of necessity since the iPad will have to know how to talk to your printer without the benefit of your computer.

Three apps I'm aware of (and undoubtedly there are more, but these are the three I've researched) are: Print Central, Print Magic and ePrint. Print Magic also has a free 'lite' version that you can use to test if your printer is compatible.

Besides having to check if your printer is compatible, you'll also need to have a good grasp of how your printer is designed to function over a network. Some of the apps will look for Bonjour-supported printers and do much of the setup automatically. Others will have to be set up manually, which can be a non-trivial affair if you're unfamiliar with networking basics.

Another caveat to be aware of is that as far as I know, none of these apps support AirPrint directly. In other words, you won't be able to use the builtin 'Print' function in apps such as Pages, for example. You must do all your printing from within the printing app itself, which means you'll have to import your material to be printed into them first. (I could be wrong about this, but most of the direct printing apps I looked at worked this way).

If none of this has scared you off, then I can at least report my success story: I was able to get my iPad printing directly to an old HP LaserJet 6MP + HawkingTech printserver using the ePrint. In order to do this I had to use LPR/LPD style printing and manually specify the printerserver address and queue name. It prints things a lot slower than my desktop, but in all honestly, this is the first app I was able to get working so I have no baseline for comparison.

Hope this info helps, somewhat.

6. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll fin out, but I agree, I doubt it. It's my understanding that WiFi printers work off of an Ad-Hoc type of setup, and isn't part of the LAN (I could be wrong, I've never had one, this ol' laser has worked miracles for a long time)

I don't think mine supports postscript, however. Oh well, I might be Out of Luck. It's a shame really, would come in handy! It would be neat if they would add OSX driver support or whatever. In fact the Konica Minolta website says that OSX Panther and above doesn't need any drivers (nor do they offer any) because it works, network or USB, right out of the box. The only thing they offer is a utility to check ink levels and what not. Ironically, XP, Vista and 7 all require drivers and do not recognize it (USB or on the LAN). Windows 0 Mac 1 I guess, lol.

-John

7. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

Yeah, that's why I keep my Laserjet 6P around. It keeps going (over 11 years now). Although I need to do a big clean on it one of these days.

For now, this AirPrint Hackivator works on my Mac Mini Core2Duo and allows me to print from the iPad very easy. And it saved me from having to buy a new HP all-in-one ePrint device (which I was never quite happy with how it did it's printing from the iPad)

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Tonight I spoke with a friend about this, and he told me he bought PrintCentral when it was on sale (about $5.00). He told me it works great printing directly.
    I think I'll take a chance... Well, if the price goes down a little.