Printing to custom paper size

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by c073186, Dec 14, 2012.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I'm having trouble printing to a custom paper size - my paper size is 5.5 x 8.5, and when I enter that size, it always prints in the lower right side of the page. As a result, when I put my smaller paper size in the printer, it still just prints in the lower right corner, rather than being centered. I have tried printing from Pages and from Preview as a PDF. Has anyone had a problem like this?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What's the printer? Are the drivers up-to-date?

Have you tried printing from other apps? In Preview, is "Auto-rotate and Center" on or off?

When you created the custom size, did you do it portrait, or landscape? Try it the other way.

Can you create a PDF on that page size?

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is a Samsung ML-2850ND and I am using the "Generic PostScript" driver.

In Preview, auto-rotate is enabled, but I do not see an option for "center" - where would I find that? It actually seems to be an issue of centering, the page prints in the correct size, but it prints in the lower left corner of the page, rather than being centered. If there were a way to force Preview (or Pages) to print to the center of the page when the page size is less than 8.5 x 11, that would solve my issue. But I've tried just about everything and cannot stop it from printing in the corner of the page.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Sorry, Ignore the "and Center".

Any reason why you're not using the PPD for the printer itself, rather than a Generic PS one? A PPD is a file that describes all the capabilities of the printer to the OS. It may link to other components that add extra functions, too.
    Apple drivers for Samsung printers are here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL905