Printing to HP Printer attached to Mac from PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Eraserhead, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My dad has got a new HP Photosmart D7160 attached to his iMac G5 running 10.4.10, I have enabled Windows Sharing and Printer Sharing but cannot get a PC running XP Pro (SP2) to see it, it can see the computer, either in the same workgroup or a different one but it cannot see the printer, what needs to be done to make this work?

PS The printer prints fine from the Mac its attached to (surprise surprise :p)

2. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Btw has anyone got this kind of thing to work before?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you followed the instructions in the Help menu?

4. epiphany macrumors regular

There are various approaches:
    1) In Network Neighborhood, click on your Mac's icon, and select the printer, if Windows sees it. It it does, double-clicking may ask if you want to set it up, so set it up as an apple postscript printer.

2) You turned on Windows sharing (don't know if that is necessary) and Printer Sharing on the Mac. Under System Preferences>Print&Fax>click Sharing Tab, select printer to share.

3) In Panther days, Mac came up with a universal sharing methodology called 'Rendevous". Now it's called "Bonjour." It's free, it's been adopted by most pc equipment manufacturers, and it's Apple. It has a Windows Printer Setup Wizard, and people swear by it.
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

5. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thanks guys, I'll try these steps when I get home.

EDIT: The network neighbourhood thing worked! The computer only has an old copy of iTunes so it probably doesn't have working Bonjour.

6. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

7. epiphany macrumors regular