Printing to Networked Computer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gata, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Gata macrumors regular

I have a Jailbroken iPod Touch 4G.

I've been wanting to print stuff off it, but given my current setup, the printer has to be hooked up to a networked computer, as opposed to the modem itself.

Is there any way to get the iPod Touch to connect to a printer that's hooked up to a PC? Either through a jailbroken method or a standard way.

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

There are some hacks you can use to get "AirPrint" functionality working over PC-shared printers. This was originally supposed to be a built-in feature of iOS 4.2, but Apple pulled it in the middle of Beta trials for reasons that were not disclosed publicly. (Possibly concerns relating to reliability, consistent print quality and user experience, or intellectual property ownership.)

Anyway, the effort that went into that beta work was subsequently reverse-engineered, and it appears that all the necessary support is physically present in iOS 4.2 itself, but that some extra "glue" is needed on the PC side. There are workarounds available for OS X, for any other computer system that use CUPS to manage printing, and for Windows-based computers.

For example, for Windows computers, see this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047779