Printing to Windows XP Shared Printer - Print Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrPri, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MrPri macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm sure this problem has been discussed to extended lengths. I have a question, I am running OSX 10.5.4 (Leopard) and have shared a Canon iP4500 via Windows XP. This printer drivers were not available and choosing another driver would print blank pages. So I downloaded the the latest beta3 from Gutenprint and the printer was now available. I installed it and it is now printing fine to the Windows share.

The problem I have is that I want to print I don't get any options for additional print settings such as print quality (Standard, Fast, Draft) , borderless printing etc. Basically any of the printer specific settings.

Is there any way of getting such settings to work when using a Windows shared printer?

Thanks

2. John Jordan macrumors newbie

Hi-

I've been having problems with my printer working with airport extreme as well. Works fine with Mac nothing on the PC.

I did read something somewhere that printing through bonjour &/or airport may not allow all the settings as when printing directly. i'm about to just use the cable and try the external hd for sharing.

Best,

John

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true. If you have the proper driver, then you will have access to all of your printer's features whether or not you use Bonjour. However, you may be able to print over Bonjour even if you don't have the proper driver. In this case, you will not have access to all of your printer's features.