Printing via a Router driver problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Willcain, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Willcain macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs so be very gentle. I've just got a shiny Mac running OSX10.5 Leopard. My Canon IP3500 connects via USB and works a treat. Unfortunately I don't want it in the room with the MAC I want it in the office and share it with my PCs via my Belkin wireless Router. The Pcs print with no problem. I've tried adding the printer on the Mac as a network printer using the IP address and LP1 but in the list of drivers (Gutenprint ones or Canon) it's not offered. If I use one of the canon Gutenprint drivers offered it will print but pictures etc are useless. I suspect thats the Gutenprint driver, text seems reasonable. I obviously need to point the install at the right drivers for my printer, which must be somewhere as the printer works when attached directly. I can't find them in eithor of the Canon libraries on the main drive or my "space". I tried downloading them from Canon and the DMG drive set up and the installation process completed. I still can't find them. I've managed to look in the DMG file on a PC (sorry) but I've no idea which is the driver or even if it gets further unpacked during the install. Can anyone give me a clue or at least what the file extension for Canon print drivers are, or am I talking rubbish becase MAcs don't use drivers like PCs. The Mac support told me talk to CAnon and I'm not sure whether the Canon support have as much clue as me, which is very little.

HELP!!!!!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know if Macs "use drivers like PC's," but they do require software to communicate with certain hardware.

Installing a printer connected via USB does not necessarily give you what you need (software wise) to connect to the same printer via ethernet - I would do a fresh install, after wiping out the previous installation. Your Mac may be trying to connect via USB, since that's how the printer was originally installed.

One more question: how is the printer connected to the router - USB or ethernet?

3. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

It connects to the router using USB. On the Pcs it is exactly the same driver if that helps or confuses

Cheers

4. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

oh just to clarify, it's definitely trying to use the wireless connection not USB because if I give it a driver that is offered it even switches the printer on and prints text reasonably well

Cheers again

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

be sure to download the driver supplied above (it seems like the right one).

you will need to add it into the printers list.

1. open system prefs -> print & fax
    2. hit the "+" button
    3. try to find your printer by any means possible.

unfortunately i dont have that printer, so i cant be of any more help. maybe you could supply us with your router model number so we can reasearch it more

7. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a Belkin wireless G prinr server but I use it wired directly to my BT home hub via an ethernet cable. This connection all works as I can print from the PCs and as I said from the mac but with the "wrong" driver', if youre not in the UK a home hub is just a very simple solid router.

I've already tried the cups driver from Canon but I have the same problem with that as the normal driver. i.e I cant find it anywhere after its installed. As I said I've managed to unpack the download could you give me a clue what a driver looks like on the Mac i.e do they all have the same extension? If I had a file name I might be in with a chance of locating it. Why Canon can't tell me it beggars belief

Cheers

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can find all the drivers at

HD ->Library ->Printers ->Canon

not sure how to tell if its actually in there, you just have to search for the file. i think the extension is ".bundle".

9. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've been in FD Printer etc...Canon I see
    BJPRINTER

inside this there's Filters, Framework, PDE, Plugins, PMS Resources, Utilities.

Inside Filters theres RASTER2CANON and Raster2CANON bundle but when I point at them not a lot happens

Any more ideas where I'm going wrong?

Cheers

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Try the following.

Download the dmg above, open it. Inside there is the installer: right click on it and select Show package content. Open the "Contents" folder, then the "PPD" folder. Inside the last one you will see a .tgz file. Double click it to extract the PPD file (should be the file you are looking for).

Now when you add the printer, select that PPD file as the driver.

11. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

Best effort so far. I did as you said and the IP3500 now appears in the list of printers.

If I set it up as an Internet Protocol printer the print goes to the queue but doesn't trouble the printer. (I'm using the same IP info as connected Ok when I used a wrong canon driver.)

IF I set it up as a Jetdirect printer, the printer switches on, clicks and whirls but nothing comes out.

The main error I get is error 311 Printer already in use or an error has occured. I don't know how to clear out residual earlier setups that may be causing this, all I'm doing is deleting the printers when they fail to work.

Cheers

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

13. Willcain thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the delay I've been away. Yes tried that and I'm sure I've set everything up right because if I use the IP3000 or IP4000 drivers that are in the list the printer will print albeit it's not very good. This suggests the Cups driver isn't hacking it or there's some bits missing and I need more than the one file. I'm going to try some "bought" drivers next but it might be not until after Easter. Don't give up with me chaps. Regards. and have a good Easter