Printing window reacts very slowly... any one?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caspiyoav, May 4, 2008.

1. caspiyoav macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Mac pro 08 with OS X 10.5.2
    Epson C1100 and Epson R285
    when opening the print-options window:
    1. it takes a long time to load,
    2. any change I try and make (e.g. resolution, layout, etc...) - it takes ages to react?

any one know why? solution perhaps?

I tried installing the newest driver from the epson website but it won't let me because it is saying that the files already exist on my computer....

Much appreciated,

Yoav

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

from what application(s) are you trying to print?

3. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

Any application.... it is the standard os x printing screen that is slow... word, iphoto... anything really. never worked fast with anything.

4. RatManDude macrumors newbie

Me too … I'm also having the same issue

I though that it was something on my Mac, but I suspect that the driver is not 100%. I've tried to reset the printers & reload the older one. No good as the new one seems to always take control.
    I've even done an Archive & re-Install the OSX.

How do we get back to the default one or is there a better quality driver somewhere else …
    Current version I am running comes from the file "epson320078eu.dmg" … EPSONLaserPrinter_40aEs

Also running:
    2 x 3.0 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    9GB 667 DDR2 FB-DIMM

And my printer has an extra 64MB chip [96MB total memory]

So I can't believe that it is a memory issue!!

I've tried taking the USB out of the 7 port D-Link [extenaly powered HUB] extender that I have it plugged into & connected it directly one of the front USB ports … No better …

Zapped the p-ram … No Better …

Firmware updated [via XP / Dual boot via VMWARE Fusion] … No Better …

What else can we try? Aside from "waiting till EPSON get it right" ?

My other printers work 100% …
    Adobe PDF printer
    EPSON R1800

No Issues with these two.

5. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess we just have to wait...

Until epson get their driver right... but how do we know they even know of the problem?
    I find it extremely doubtful that it is a mac problem, because just as you said - the other printers work fine...
    this really bugs me because I use the printer a lot !!

The driver from the epson website seams to be newer that what the OS X uses but it doesn't let me install it because it says I already have the files on my system...

maybe someone will reply with a solution, but I have a feeling this isn't THE most popular thread...

Let me know if you find anything.
    Yoav

6. RatManDude macrumors newbie

They do know … now

Yesterday, after visiting this site I went to log this this the support site, so they do know now …
    If you go there, feel free to quote mu reference number — perhaps this will assist in getting this driver issue resolved ASAP.

Use the following info:
    EPSON e-Talk Session Log — ID for this chat session 393729.

They are saying that they are unaware of the issue, but perhaps there aren't too many Leopard users who own a C1100?

I have two & both are now pretty useless, till this is resolved!

If ya like I can send the entire transcript. Perhaps that will help you to see what you can try [what I've tried vs the "solutions" that were offered"] etc ?

You keen, Let me know …

BTW:
    Have you run into anyone else that is having this issue?
    Who else do you know that is running 10.5.2 & a C1100?
    Perhaps we need to get in touch with more users — and "gang up" on the support team at Epson? … LOL … :D

TA

7. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

will do

I will let them know I have the same problem, however I still feel the number of people suffering from it is very low, so the likelihood of them being encouraged to do anything is also low.

I think if there were more people with the problem they would have probably been active on this thread...

Unfortunately I have a feeling we are not going to get a solution anytime soon, unless maybe apple decide to do something about it... (also unlikely...)

but, who knows... we should hope for the best.

Yoav

8. RatManDude macrumors newbie

Perhaps MacWorld may help …

Today I've sent a mail to the letters dept @ MacWorld.
    Perhaps they will respond?
    Maybe they have a solution for us poor soles …

Again, I suppose we will have to wait and see.

BTW:
    I don't know if I told U already, but it's not just happening on my MacPro, but also on my MacBook Pro.

This is indicating that it is either the OS or the Driver and not an issue with the user [me]. The symptoms are identical, either thru the "shared" printer or if I hook the c1100 directly to the laptop.

This info i have also provided EPSON with … so hopefully they will do something, sooner rather than later.

9. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

That's some good work you've done there...

the one bright side of this whole thing is that we might just 'have' to be a new printer.... LOL

great work.
    hope this works.

Yoav

10. RatManDude macrumors newbie

Seems A little better lately

I've noticed that the delays are less lengthy lately …
    Have you also been seeing the same?

I've updated to 10.5.3 … not much real improvement …
    But after 10.5.4 … there was a remarked improvement.

Have you done the update & are you finding better results ?

11. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again

Was away from my Mac for about a month... just came back. will update now and let you know shortly whether or not I feel any difference.

Yoav

12. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Mate !!!

Seems to have been resolved on my computer. everything works fine and quick as it should.

will let you know if things change.

good news for us, i guess...

take care !!

13. RatManDude macrumors newbie

Good News

Hi,

That's good news for you too … :)
    Must have been an :apple: OSX issue then, & not EPSON fault.

Anyway now that the printer is not taking a year to print, I may start to use it a bit more again. Which brings me to the next thing I need to get a little info on, if you have any …

Have you ever tried to use those "refill" kits? I've not, but am becoming ever increasingly tempted as the cost of the replacement cartridges for this printer is a real cause for concern?

Here in S.A. a set of CMYK [high yield] go for ± R5600.00 [± £370.00] & that's almost twice what I paid for the brand new unit, that I bought as a spare … Grant it that the "spare" only has low yield CMY cartridges, but it also has a replacement fuser unit which was quoted to cost almost the same price as buying the "spare" … that is why I bought the spare, rather than buying a spare fuser & replacement cartridges [to keep a full set of spare consumables handy] — You do know that the entire printer will not function, even if one of the CMY cartridges are empty & you are only trying to print B/W!!

Anyway, back to the point of this message …
    I was just wondering if you have ever tried to use a "re-fill" kit or know of anyone that has used a "re-filled" cartridge, and if there are any "issues" or anything — that is aside from the standard rhetoric that EPSON warn re the "possible" damage that "could" result from using "generic" brands of consumables in the unit. Quite frankly that doesn't scare me off, as if they were serious about that why would there be any "generics" & also why are the EPSON consumables at least 3 times more expensive than the "generics"!

At any rate both my printers are well beyond there really silly one year "warranty" period … even the spare one … has yet to even be taken out of it's original packaging … ! — all I've used from that one so far is the consumables [toners] that were bundled with the printer.

14. caspiyoav thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey again

Never used not-original consumables, as the price difference here in London isn't worth it. Moreover, I'm not sure I understood whether you were asking about your R285 of C1100. In any event, I don't think there should be any problem. I would try and make sure however that out of those replacement consumables the ones you buy are of decent quality.

Good luck,
    feel free to write if there is anything else...

Yoav