Printing wireless through a MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mynewromantica, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mynewromantica macrumors regular

My current situation requires me to have a Windows machine and a Mac. I need to keep my printer connected to my MBP so I can use the scanner, but I also need to be able to print from my windows machine on the same printer, is this possible?

I don't have the Windows machine built yet so I can't test it, I am just wondering if it is even possible.

Or is it possible for me to connect my printer to an Airport and scan and print wirelessly? I know I can print, but I could never figure out wireless scanning from the Airport.

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

You could use Image Capture which is used for scanning however I dont know if this would work.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the printer is plugged into your MBP, you can share it with any computer on your wireless network. Just go to System Preferences > Sharing and check Printer Sharing.

OS X Lion: Share your printer

OS X Mountain Lion: If you can’t scan

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Printer sharing, as someone else mentioned, should work, although I personally don't have much experience with this in OS X myself. Your experience with AirPort is correct--you can use it as a print server, but you won't be able to scan. (If you want to scan from both computers, your best bet is to get a networked multifunction printer/scanner and connect it to your network with Ethernet [or wireless, though I haven't heard many raves about those] in a convenient location.)